From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:51:08 -0400

This might be a good recipe for the holidays. I came across it in a tourist guide in Maryland, but I made some changes.

Roasted Vegetables
This amount of vegetables made a very generous serving for 4-6. You could probably serve more people with it, if you're serving salad or other vegetables as well.

Heat a large cookie sheet (or two regular size cookie sheets) at 425. (I put it in while the oven preheated). I use the large, heavy-duty, professional ones. They last forever and don't warp. This recipe covered (crowded) one really large sheet. Recipe actually called for two cookie sheets, but I don't think they mean the huge kind. I'm sure you can also use a very large roasting pan or two. Just don't heap the vegetables up.

1 lb unpeeled (or peeled), small potatoes, sliced in half or larger potatoes cut in large chunks. (Recipe calls for Yukon Gold. I used ordinary white, unpeeled potatoes.)
1 large, peeled winter squash...acorn (hard to peel), butternut, sliced into large chunks.
1 large container or two small containers or fresh brussel sprouts...slice off ends, toss out leaves that fall off. (I added sprouts to the recipe. They weren't in the original.)
1 large red onion cut through the core, in chunks...not in slices. (Recipe called for 1 red onion. Next time, I'll add two.)
3 cloves smushed garlic, diced up and mixed with about 1/4 cup of olive oil. (Recipe called for 2 cloves. We love garlic. I might add more next time.)

Put all vegetables in a large bowl (may need a pot) and mix thoroughly with the garlic and olive oil.

Carefully remove tray from oven and pour alittle olive oil on it. Barely any thickness. Didn't even cover the whole sheet.
Carefully spread vegetables on the tray...should be one layer thick, so they roast, not steam.
Salt (I use sea salt.), and pepper to your liking. (I use a lot of pepper and alittle salt.)
I also tossed on a sprinkle of mixed herbs for good measure.
Remember when you're putting it back in the oven that the pan is VERY HOT, so be careful!!!

Allow 45 minutes cooking time or until larger vegetables are fork tender. I lowered the oven temp to 350 because I was also putting in my baked salmon at the same time on another shelf, and the oil was simmering so loudly that I was afraid the splatters would catch fire. It still was done in 45 minutes.

Recipe called for chunks of turnips and beets...but I omitted them because they're not allowed on my husband's low-oxalate diet.

Enjoy. Unless you burn this thing, I don't think there's a way to ruin it, and it looked really pretty on the plate. Would look lovely in a large bowl with a sprinkle of parsley as garnish.