From:
Patrick Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:33:11 -0500

Hi folks,

It's me again - Pat.  After my post about our diet I was asked to explain
to the list how I managed to meet and marry another celiac.  So, here's the
story.

Adrienne (that's my wife) and I met in University.  At the time, neither of
us were aware of any sort of digestive problems.  During the second year
that we dated Adrienne started having some problems.  Vitamin B deficiency,
 anorexic-like eating habits, constipation, exhaustion etc.  She spent a
good part of her third year in school at the doctor's office.  At the end
of that summer (after more than one misdiagnoses) Adrienne had the biopsy
and was diagnosed with Celiac by a doctor in Toronto.
For the next year I learned how to cook and shop gluten free.  While I
didn't necessarily follow the diet myself, I learned a lot about it.  And
when Adrienne spent time at my house I did what I could to make sure she
could eat.
During the same summer that Adrienne was diagnosed I started having huge
problems with my appetite.  I was completely turned off food, and I started
to lose weight.  Lots of it.  Since it took me a while to realize that
something might be wrong, I didn't bother to see a doctor for several
months.  By that time Adrienne and her family was convinced I was dying.
So I visited a doctor at the University and started a four month trek to
discover why I felt and looked so terrible.  In a last ditch effort my GI (
a different GI than Adrienne's) finally decided to try a biopsy.  Almost a
year to the day that Adrienne was diagnosed with Celiac, my GI called to
give me the same news.  I was 121 pounds and happy to hear I wasn't as
close to death as my soon-to-be in-laws had thought.

Adrienne and I have been together for a total of seven years.  Married for
three.  We're completely gluten free, healthy and intoxicatingly happy.

Pat

Patrick Dean
Senior Technical Writer
The Bulldog Group Inc.=A0