From:
IK+LJplant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 May 2000 11:42:02 +1200

Dear Listmembers,

Twice in the past two months I have experienced two bouts of severe
symptoms, after going into a Bakery to buy goods for my family and I
wanted to know (a) if anyone else on the webring had experienced such
severe symptoms and (b) whether the symptoms were because of exposure to
Airborne Gluten, or just the result of perhaps another virus-type
exposure:

Early in the morning I purchased my goods and by 2-3 pm I was feeling
"off" just lethargic, headachy and generally a bit "dizzy"  By 7pm I was
experiencing severe stomach pains, then sure enough, off to the loo for
a couple of severe bouts of diarrhea.  Then the vomiting started, and
then really severe shakes and shivering (possibly similar to a shock
reaction?) which lasted a couple of hours.  Wrapping up warm with a
hottie seemed to help lessen the shaking, and by the next morning I was
just left with a rotten headache.  My questions are:

Is it possible to have a reaction to "airborne" gluten particles? Do we
only have to eat Gluten to have reactions?

I notice that when I have accidentally ingested a gluten-containing
food, I just tend to get very loose bowels, feel a bit sick and
generally headachey.  It seems very coincidental that on both occasions
when I have gone into this particular bakery and they have been baking
furiously with flour flying everywhere that I have ended up with these
symptoms. Has anyone else ever had similar symptoms, or am I looking to
blame something unexplained on my Celiac Disease?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Cheers, Lorraine
Auckland, NewZealand.