From:
Deb Clough <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:18:30 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I read someones post recently re: The original Boca Burger and how it
is "no longer gluten-free." I never knew it was gluten-free! But, the
poster gave contact info for the company and encouraged others to write to
them and ask them to change the recipe to the way it was.

I did, and they responded with the following:

So, I sent the following reply...

Thank you for your reply. There is no such thing as determining with a
health practitioner whether or not I, or any other celiac can eat your
products. We cannot eat wheat gluten, period. Not now, not ever.

I have only been diagnosed for a year and half but I can assure you that
there are a LOT of people living with this condition, and a limited amount
of food choices, especially when you also happen to be a vegetarian.

My gastroenterologist has told me that I am the only vegetarian celiac he
has and he wonders how the heck I'm doing this diet and continuing to stay
vegetarian. However, I know that I am not the only one. I am committed to
staying vegetarian even though I have to adhere to a gluten-free diet.

I am in marketing so I certainly understand how demand determines what
products you will produce. However, I encourage your "health smart" company
to consider a Gluten-Free line. Non-vegetarian celiacs would be just as
likely to purchase your products as vegetarian celiacs. We are all in the
same boat and we have needs for "convenient" heat-and-eat foods like
everyone else. Do some market research!

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please feel free to contact
me if I can be of any assistance. The following is a link to a website
for celiacs that is to me, my bible for what is "safe" to eat and what
is not.  Celiac/Coeliac Wheat/Gluten-Free List
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/celiac.html Thank you, Deb

Perhaps if other celiacs, vegetarian or not, wrote to Boca asking for them
to consider a gluten-free line, that would gain more of their attention. I
am only one voice, but I know that there are others!

I send my best wishes to you all,
Deb