From:
Wendi Benecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:07:22 -0800

 Thanks you everyone for your kind words, this is my original question and
some suggestions following:

> I was wondering if anyone had sensitivity to chicken. I find when I eat
> chicken, I get a similar reaction as if I had eaten gluten. It lasts
> several days with all the pain and fatigue...

You may be reacting to the grains that are being feed the chickens or
they may be dipped in vegatable broth (read that as wheat or corn
starch) to increase shelf life.

I am unable to eat any poultry, I suspect because of the feed. I have
been told that what an animal eats can take 3 months to clear from thier
tissues or blood stream. My meat source is organic beef - that way I
know that no additives have been used and cattle are generally not feed
large amounts (per thier body weight) of grain because of the expense.

I have heard that some of the big commercial poultry companies inject
their chickens with HVP to make them juicier.  Another reason to love
the chicken industry!  Call the vendor.  You might find that kosher
chickens are less adulterated than Tysons or Perdue, but call the
vendor!

Yes I do!  But I am also allergic to chicken (scratch tested).   So, I
can't tell you that there is a connection to celiac on this one, but I have
heard others mention it quite a bit.

I am also allergic to chicken, though less so than I was before I was
diagnosed with CD; I do not sleep well after I eat it and I am very mildly
sick to my stomach. It is nothing like CD, thank heaven.

Re your question on chicken causing gluten like reaction. I used to have
the same thing until I discovered I was reacting to the hormones they
use in poulty in order to prevent infection. As soon as I switched to
'organic/free range' meat, the problem was solved.

So again thank you for the support, it seems I am not alone out there.
After my last experience with chicken, I think I will wait awhile--then
maybe try some chicken that is hormone free and has no additives. As to one
persons suggestion--I wish I could raise my own--but I don't think the
condo board would be very happy with me.

Wendi