From:
Aviva Mandl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 2000 08:41:31 -0500

I apologize for the time it's taken me to put this together.  I have not
been able to answer each email personally, but I thank everyone who sent
me their experiences!

I had been wondering if there was any connection between the problems I
have had with contact lenses and solutions and Celiac.

A few saw a definite link between problems with lenses/solutions and
Celiac.

It was recommended by many, I check for dry eye - there is a "link
between Celiac and many auto-immune disorders."

Sometimes medications can have adverse reactions with contact lens
wearers, another said.

My problems of dryness and burning sensations could be caused by:

*Preservatives in the solutions
*Thimerasol in the saline solutions - One would use rewetting drops with
 this and lights at night started to blur - I've had this happen to me,
 often!
*Lack of oxygen due to my astigmatism and the shape of my cornea.

One said that we as Celiacs seem to be more allergic, but also to blame
more on Celiac.  Could it be the plastic I'm allergic to?

Solution Recommendations
Alcon Opti-Free Express Multi-Purpose Disinfecting Solution Enhanced
Disinfection Formula with ALDOX & Alcon Opti-Free Rewetting Drops.

Alcon Opti-Free solutions for soaking and daily protein removal.

Barnes cleaner and Enzymatic enzyme remover.

2 for Bausch & Lomb Sensitive Eyes All-Purpose Solution with no
troubles.  (Marketed as "Re-Nu All-Purpose Solution" in the USA) *note,
I did try Re-Nu and had an instant burning feeling.

Boston cleaning and soaking solutions and "Genteel" drops. (This person
is in Australia, not sure if Genteel is available in the states.)

3 for Boston wetting and daily cleaner solutions.

Boston Simplicity solution.

Celluvisc eye drops by Allergean.

"Anything in the spray can (the saline in the squirt bottles irritate me
to no end).  I use Aosept daily solution to clean and do not experience
any problems.  Once a week I use Ultrazyme tablets to give them a good
cleaning."

Another said, after going gluten free, I didn't have to use the enzyme
cleaners as often.

Lens Recommendations
Biocompatibles Proclear compatibles omafilcon A (no astigmatism) -
person has dry eyes.

Boston EO lens (works better with dry eyes).  "I rewash the lenses every
morning before I put them in, rinse each one thoroughly, then inserting
using water, not solution, filtered through a Pure faucet filter.  My
optometrist did not like the idea but has been amazed at the
improvement.

  "The re-wetting solution doesn't work -- I use preservative-free Tears
Natural (expensive) occasionally.  Most of the time I just take them
out, clean, and re-insert.

  "You will never win with the soft because of the preservative in the
saline.  You can't use water with the soft because they trap the
impurities.

  "I now wear my contacts as much as 15 hours in a row."

One received best service with CSI, harder than soft, need to use
Opti-Free, Bausch & Lomb saline solution for soaking will turn them
brown over time.  This person had numerous staph infections on the
inside of the eyelids when using hydrocurve elite.

Ciba Vision VisaTint.

2 mentions of getting disposables (weekly or daily preferably).

Several mentions of gas permeable lenses
One "switched from soft to gas permeables for clarity."

Another had pain and burning using gas permeable lenses, now wearing gas
permeable of high permeability torics and is doing fine.

Another said the "pain with the edges of gas permeable lenses went away
within 2 weeks of being gluten-free."

Even with extended wear lenses, one said she takes them out at night.

Thanks again everyone.

Aviva
(Chicago)