From:
Liz Attanasio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 14:29:15 EDT

Hi listmates!  I really need some help on this one.  My mother-in-law is
in the hospital having a bowel resection.  The doctor did a colonoscopy,
said she has pus in the diverticuli and he is going to resect about 1
foot of lower bowel (today-Friday).  She is 75 yrs old and has been
having diarrhea and pain off and on for a very long time.  I have been
asking my sister-in-law to have her tested for Celiac Disease (she is of
direct Italian descent and her symptoms are the same as CD), but to no
avail (yet!!!).  I am still pushing it.  Here are my questions for you all:

1. What other diagnostic tests should she have?  I recommended antigliadin
IgA, IgG and tissue transglutaminase at the least, maybe an endoscopy.

2. Can undiagnosed CD cause diverticulitis?  Was anyone diagnosed FIRST with
diverticulitis and then CD later after many more years of suffering?

3. What kind of diet will the dr put her on for diverticulitis?  What should
she really be eating now?  My sister-in-law is going to cook for her and
keeps saying 'She needs fiber in her diet.'  I know she is going to give her
lots of oat bran and I think this is bad- is this right?

I live 2000 miles away from my mother-in-law, but if I was closer I'd be
right in that doctor's face ordering more tests.  My hope is to email your
words of wisdom to my sister-in-law and have an impact.  Thanks so much for
your help!

Liz in AZ