From:
"Tyson,Carol,Dick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:32:26 -0800

Its been a very busy summer , and now that there is snow falling almost
every day, I figured I better get around to this.

Last May in Science News, a very good weekly magazine, there was a short
article on spraying raw vegetables sold at supermarkets with a combo of two
solutions to sanitize the vegis . the first being 3 percent hydrogen
peroxide, the same strength available at the drug store, then spraying a
mist of vinegar. sounds sorta scary...

the whole point of the story run last May was that this process was being
used by some stores now as a method to prolong shelf life of produce and
make them safer for the general public. we don't live there.

below is a copy of an older story from '96 that was referenced, that goes
into a little more detail.

I really wanted to follow this up further before posting, but it took me
this long just to get it this far, if anyone has more time, good luck

dick flaharty
fairbanks, alaska

http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arch/9-28-96/food.htm

How to disinfect your salad

         [This article has been removed from the logfiles, as it]
         [is copyrighted material.  The references at the bottom]
         [of the article still remain--the CELIAC Listowners    ]