From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 08:11:32 -0400

I am posting this for Alicia Pitzer, who is having trouble posting
from her e-mail address.  Please send any replies to her at
[log in to unmask] -- Jim Lyles

letter on the list.

First the poster took issue with an article about Dermatitus Herpetiformis
(DH) published in the Spring 1999 issue, entitled "Scratching the Surface."
This article was a medical question/answer interview with Dr. Jeffrey S.
Dover.

The poster states:
>As for my "Living Without" magazine problem, the reason why the
>dermatologist sounded so ignorant may have been because of two things. ...

The poster is referring to Dr. Dover, associate chairman of the Dermatology
Department at Beth Israel Hospital and associate professor of Clinical
Dermatology at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Dover has authored several
instructional audio and videotapes and over 100 publications, including
co-authoring "Skin Deep: An A to Z of Skin Disorders." He also edits
"Journal Watch for Dermatology," a monthly abstracted journal published by
the Massachusetts Medical Society. In addition, Dr. Dover serves as chapter
advisor to a local celiac support group.

The poster continues:
>One is they are known for changing quotes in that magazine.

This statement is false. Like other publications, Sully's Living Without,
Inc., edits text. Unlike most publications, we return the text to our
sources for their review before publication, as a courtesy. We are most
definitely NOT "known for changing quotes."

The poster goes on to say:
>Also they have to dumb things down to a "fourth grade reading level" for
>some reason.

This statement is also false. Our journalists write about complicated,
technical medical topics in understandable layman's language. For instance,
the interview of Dr. Dover on DH was written by Diana B. Keough, a
contributing writer to Sully's Living Without, Inc. Diana is an
award-winning freelance journalist (1999 Award of Excellence from the Ohio
Public Image Council) who also writes for the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the
largest newspaper in Ohio. She specializes in writing about complex medical
topics for a general audience.

The poster also writes:
>I heard they do no research before they interview people.

Again, this statement is false. Our writers conduct thorough research,
including in-depth interviews with medical experts. All medical articles are
reviewed and approved by our medical advisors. In particular, the article on
DH was also reviewed and approved by Dr. Dover before it was published.

Sully's Living Without, Inc., was started just one year ago by Peggy
Wagener. Peggy is a celiac who found there was little support or information
available to help her understand and cope with her new gluten-free
lifestyle. Using her life's savings, she decided to launch the magazine to
help others like herself.

The intent of Sully's Living Without, Inc., is to support the celiac
community. We hope the magazine will generate greater awareness regarding
celiac disease so that the condition will become more commonly known and
more readily recognized. We want to provide a valuable lifestyle guide for
those with food and/or chemical sensitivities.

We welcome constructive comments about articles in this magazine; this kind
of feedback helps us serve our readers better. Let's work together in a
postive way to help all food-sensitive people, particularly those within the
celiac community, to learn to live well while living without.

-- Alicia B. Piter, Editor
Sully's Living Without, Inc.