From:
Debbie Forestello <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Forestello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 13:02:56 -0500

I was recently diagnosed w/CD.  I had my children tested (4 in all) via the
blood tests.  I was certain my 10 yr.old would be positive as I feel she
exhibits many of the symptoms that I now know are Celiac such as constant
mouth ulcers, sores in the corners of her mouth, frequent "tummy" problems
(has had all her life), and terrible smelling feces, fatigue.  The part that
doesn't seem to quite fit is that she is somewhat over weight and is
continuing to gain, rather than lose any weight.  My oldest (11 yr.old)
however, came back positive.  BUT, the doctor said it was such a weak
positive (2 points above normal) that he would not recommend the drastic
change in diet/lifestyle that would be required but instead to use this as a
"red flag" to keep a watch and repeat testing "down the road".  This child
suffers from numerous allergies and has been diagnosed asthmatic and we've
experienced several ER visits in the fall with severe attacks.  She also has
problems with her skin, mostly on her legs with an extremely itchy rash that
the pediatrician has told me is severe eczema.  In your opinion, should I
get these kids retested?  What about the stool test (Dr. Fine?) or are the
blood tests more accurate?  I feel with both these kids, they show symptoms
of Celiac.  However, without being sure, I hate to make them have to make
such a major change in their diet if it is not necessary.  Any input would
be greatly appreciated.  Thanks! - Debbie