Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 08:41:31 -0700

I wrote:

>I was unfair to Westsoy: the one I was drinking was not GF. But they said
>the following were: lo fat vanilla; lite soy; Westsoy plus.

With more communication for Westsoy I must add this: First I phoned the
company and got a very nice young woman and asked her if she knew about
celiac and gluten free and all that. She assured me she did and that the
company, Westbrae, was very concerned about this. Then she told me that
what I was drinking was not GF and told me which were. She said her company
had a lot of gluten free products and she'd be glad to mail me a booklet of
all these. I thanked her.

Yesterday the booklet arrived and printed across the top it said: Wheat
Free foods: not necessarily free of gluten. And several of their wheat free
products had barley in them. Well, obviously the young lady doesn't know
what she's talking about so now I don't feel I can trust that company to
even tell me what is and what isn't.

On top of this I noted that all their brown rice sugar was made with
barley. Add to this that all their milk substitutes I've seen have that
product in them and I must assume they use their own since they make it. So
now I figure that no matter what they tell me, if the product lists brown
rice sugar it is not safe.

Be very very careful with anything from Wesbrae or labled Westsoy. -vance