From:
ronald owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ronald owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 13:08:24 -0400

    Just want to add a couple more thoughts on Wegman's supermarkets.
Unfortunately they only have stores in NY, PA, and 3 in NJ.  We have one in
Elmira, New York, and the first thing one discovers upon entering the store,
is a rack of various leaflets.  One folder has the most concise yet thorough
information for those who need to be introduced to our celiac disease.  I
gave one to my endocrinologist who is anxious to know more.
    The store does have a gluten free section within their special diets
area, but, as Mike pointed out, In just two days after calling, I received a
lengthy list of gluten free products at Wegman's.
    Wegman's has a web site which lists the colored dot codes one finds on,
not all, but many products in the store.  An orange dot with a letter "G" is
gluten free and so on.  Some dots are for lactose free, vegan, low calorie,
low sodium, and other dietary concerns.  Under "Healthy Diets" at the left
on the home page, click on "special diets."  Then click on  "Wellness Keys"
to see the code list.  Also at the web site are many gluten free recipes.
At the home page, under the recipe box, click "advanced search."  Then on
the given page, scroll down to "dietary preference" and check "gluten free"
in the given list.  You will be greeted with 100 recipes that are gluten
free.
    I'm not surprised that Wegman's is #10 on the Fortune magazine list of
the 100 top best companies to work for in America.  And if you are good to
your employees, one can expect customers to be treated likewise.  I have no
connection with Wegman's except that of a satisfied and grateful customer.
-- Ron Owens
   Elmira NY