From:
Charlotte Ward-Perkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:44:56 +0100

Has anyone with CD & peripheral neuropathy had experience of a hip
replacement?

My 80 year old celiac mother, diagnosed only a year ago following my own
and my elder son's diagnosis, needs a hip replacement.  She has, among
many other auto-immune complications including hyperparathyroid,
connective tissue disorder and Sjogren's Syndrome, increasingly painful
neuropathy especially in her legs at night which is sometimes hard to
distinguish from the recent pain and loss of mobility caused by the hip
problem.

Her orthopedic surgeon is reluctant to go ahead with the hip replacement
until her neurologist can confirm that it will not make the nerve pain
worse. Any information on the subject would be welcome especially from
the UK or Ireland where she lives.  Incidentally, the recent summaries
on peripheral neuropathy were useful to her although she has been
treated as suggested (B12, iron folic) for some time.

Charlotte Ward-Perkins
Oxford, UK