From:
Liz Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2006 22:55:42 +0100

Hi everyone,

Just a comment on something included in a recent summary by deborah mcmanman <[log in to unmask]> about travel to Ireland:

"The first two days I had a traditional Irish breakfast, which consists of
fried eggs, bacon (kind of like Canadian bacon), sausages, Heinz beans, and
hash browns. The hash browns are actually little formed patties somewhat
like potato cakes. I got my typical gluten headaches after these two
breakfasts, and determined that it was the potato cakes. Sometimes flour is
used as a binder in these patties, and I am sure they were used in the Irish
version I had."

Another likely culprit would be the sausages as most Irish sausages contain rusk as a filler and are not GF.  There are GF sausages available here but these are the exception so you would definitely have to check.  Also if the sausages are not GF, you should ask that the other fried/grilled items are not fried/grilled on the same frying pan or grill.

Tomatoes and mushrooms are also often served with a traditional Irish breakfast and provide further safe options, again so long as there is no cross-contamination in their preparation.

I thought this should be clarified in case other people planning to come to Ireland wrongly assume that all Irish sausages are safe.

Best GF wishes,
Liz Ward, Dublin, Ireland.