From:
Patricia Lenihan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Lenihan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 02:35:51 +0000

Hello list,
Wanted to send a follow-up re GF in southern New Mexico. If you go to Carlsbad Caverns, please be sure to BRING FOOD. Stop at a grocery store, perhaps, before you hit the region. As listmembers warned me, there is nothing to eat in the cafeteria at the bottom of the caverns, and there's nothing to eat at the hotels or restaurants in town unless you are able to consume food from Wendy's. The caverns are great (kids loved them) but it's challenging to eat in the region, and since we walked all the way down, and around for hours, food is  necessary. Mostly consumed fruit, bottled water, homemade muffins, and Calbee Snap Pea crisps on that trip.

As for Alamagordo and White Sands: much better. There's an Applebee's where they seemed clueless about GF, but helpful. I had tilapia with no apparent problem.

btw, in Carlsbad, do not eat at the Best Western Stevens Inn restaurant, or you will undoubtedly regret it. Nice folks, but they should just go ahead and call that establishment "Chez Gluten."
Patricia