From:
Brandt, Chuck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:06:47 -0500

I spent last week on the Cayman Aggressor IV, a live-aboard dive boat based
in Grand Cayman.  The company had agreed in advance to try providing
gluten-free meals for me and everything was fine.  I had plenty to eat and
never had any problems with gluten.  The chef, Johan, turned out to be from
Sweden.  Consequently, although he had no experience cooking GF, he was well
aware of Celiac Disease and had frequently seen GF items on the store
shelves back home in Sweden.  He lamented a couple of times how much easier
it would have been to shop for me in Sweden instead of Georgetown.  For
example, when he made a special round of the stores to find GF flour, nobody
knew what he was talking about.  If he had been in Sweden, he knew it would
have been easy to find.

Two items of note:

1) The meals were very oriented toward meat and fish.  Those who are strict
vegens should mention this in advance so other sources of protein can be
found.

2) You might consider listing in advance specific items (by manufacturer and
product) that might be acceptable for between meals.  Personally, I don't do
this because the product may be produced out of the U.S. with different
ingredients.  However, if you like to snack between dives, this might pay
off.  I stayed with fresh fruit and that was OK.  Apples, in particular,
seemed good to get that salt taste out of your mouth after a dive.

Bottom line, the company was very cooperative and did everything possible to
make eating on-board a success.  I give them high marks.

For those considering a trip with them, write to me and I will fill you in
on the boat and the diving.

Chuck (Delaware, U.S.)