From:
ANAFFECT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 15:02:40 -0400

Following is a paraphrased summary.  Thanks for your help!

>1.  STOOLS:  Are soft stools common the first few months of recovery?
.yes,  with gradual recovery
.no, gluten must exist
.yes, with grad recovery 8-12 mos.
.anything goes
.yes, 6 mos.
.yes common, or indicates other food allergies
.yes, 4 mos.
.yes, several mos. to calm & still may get soft stools
.yes

>2.  ALLERGIES:  Are there temporary allergic food reactions initially
which go away after healing, and what are some of the symptoms of
allergies?
.yes, will melt away
.yes, after healing, will go away
.symptoms: eczema
.symptoms: dilated pupils, hyperactivity, flushed skin, red ears
.allergies don^Òt go away, but food sensitivities do.
.yes, lactose intolerance can go away in some, give it 3 mos. time
.symptoms: irritability, headaches, food cravings, sleep disturb, rashes,
post nasal drip, hacking cough, stomach aches, hives, hayfever symptoms.
.yes, fruit, juice & nutrasweet were problems for years

>3.  RASH:  What could contribute to rashes that are not DH-related?
.it^Òs tempting, but don^Òt blame everything on celiacs
.sensitivity to dairy & gluten
.eczema
.heat, diapers
.medication, skin lotions, detergents, insect bits, grasses, glue, paints,

.milk, eggs, corn
.eczema which 90% healed when on gf diet
.strawberries, oranges, blackberries

>4.  AVOIDANCES:  During recovery, are there foods to avoid?
.milk until healing takes place
.soy & dairy, chicken
.lactose products, citrus fruits, nuts & msg until healing from 6-18 mos.
.rotate the diet to avoid additional sensitivities
.lactose, corn, soy, rice
.corn, beans, fatty meats, acids (oj, tomatoes)
.yeast and milk if problems persist
.any foods causing a reaction esp. lactose & soy until stabilization
.fatty foods, acidic fruits

>5.  LACTOSE:  Are lactose-free milk products ok?
.no, lactose free products aren^Òt free at all, minimum amounts of lactose,
avoid.
.yes, recommend: lactaid products, kraft natural cheddar cheeses, farley^Òs
fruit snacks, Fruit/Cocoa pebbles imagine pudding, b&j sorbets.  Avoid
whey if need to avoid lactose since its 60-90% lactose.
.yes, lactaid milk (avoid lactaid tablets since they have gluten in them!)
.Lactose intolerance is different than whey & casein allergies (they are
proteins) while lactose is a sugar.
.yes, stick with milk unless pediatrician states otherwise.
.yes, if lactose is the problem.  Also consider why or casein (proteins)
which my cause permanent avoidance.
.yes, but use milk after 6 mos. of healing.
.yes, lactose free milk works fine
.yes, lactose intolerance occurs for several months
.yes, if product is gluten free

>6.  WHEY:  Is Whey Protein Concentrate or Hydrolyzed Whey Protein ok?
.no
.no, hydrolyzed whey protein has msg in it which is not recommended for
children under puberty since it crosses the undeveloped blood brain
barrier.
.no, if my son is truly lactose intolerant
.unsure, consider RAST testing
.no, if milk is a problem.  DARI-FREE is a milk substitute.  Be careful of
rice & soy substitute which use barley enzymes
.yes, ok

Wendy Wark
Pennsylvania