From:
Michael Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 18:07:50 -0700

This info on Tabasco is interesting. Presumably Tabasco is made with
distilled vinegar, hence putatively GF. But unless my math is funny,
.016% gluten equates to 160 PPM. Not exactly gluten free. I have heard
figures like GF <= 50 PPM in USA; maybe <=200 in Europe. I am not sure
of the details.

But my point is that these are politically derived breakpoints. It can't
be that 50 PPM is GF, 51 is dangerous. Or that over 50 PPM is dangerous
in the USA, but not in Germany for example. These are polical groupings,
not biological. Much more likely, from the way biology actually works is
that there is some concentration below which many celiacs will not be
harmed. But some likely will. I would say that the space between 50 PPM
and 200 PPM is kind of a no man's land. But for sure, if Tabasco
contains 160 PPM of gluten, and that gluten content comes from distilled
vinegar, how likely is it that distilled vinegar is safe for everyone,
or even 95% of celiacs?

Michael