From:
J. Sauvage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 19:04:54 -0700

Greetings!  This is my first post to this group--I'm glad I found it.
From my research into your FAQ, information, and archives it seems as if
the following questions will be appropriate.

I am a self-diagnosed celiac and I am now working with my doctor (who is
not knowledgeable about CD) to try to get a definitive diagnoses.

My history: after the birth of my daughter in January, I started
developing a severe stomachache every time I ate gluten.  I have a
lifetime history of chronic diarrhea and unexplained stomach problems.
Anyway, I made a self-diagnosis of gluten intolerance and subsequently
stopped eating all gluten--which has solved all of my stomach/diarrhea
problems.  Unfortunately, I have now done enough research to know that
in order for any of the gluten intolerance tests to be effective, I need
to have eaten gluten for several weeks.  I will admit that I am
unwilling to go through the disabling effects of eating gluten.  The
severity of the stomachache that I get when I eat gluten is too intense,
and I have a baby to take care of.  So my questions are:

1. I had a "Basic Food Panel (IgG4 and IgE)" blood test done a couple of
years ago (through Meridian Valley Clinical Laboratory) that indicated
that I had an off-the-chart significant reaction to gluten, gliadin,
wheat, rye, barley and oats.  Can this be considered in lieu of the
specialized gliadin/gluten blood test as a positive first screening
test?

2. I have read about the rectal challenge.  How effective is it?

3. Do I have any other options on testing for a gluten intolerance?

Thank you for your help!

--Jeanne