From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 14:27:31 -0500

Frozen Shoulder Summary:

I had 32 responses from 27 people. Thanks again for sharing your
experiences!

23 of the 27 respondents were women. 1 was a man. The 3 others either
had ambiguous names, or did not identify themselves.

15 had one episode of Frozen Shoulder (FS in the rest of the post).
7 had two episodes, one in each shoulder.
5 were unsure whether they had FS, or said that they had had other
problems or injuries involving their shoulder.
3 had not had FS. 2 of these said their non-celiac mothers had had
FS, and one of these said several other non-celiac relatives and
friends (also non-diabetic, with no thyroid disorders) had had FS. 1
person suggested a support website/list for menopause (which seems
appropriate! I will post this site in a separate message.).

11 said that they were celiac only (one self-diagnosed), without
thryroid disease or diabetes. One of these has a diabetic son.
7 had CD and thyroid disease, including one diagnosis of Hashimoto's
disease, and one of Grave's disease.
2 had CD and diabetes. Also, one respondent had had gestational
diabetes (now resolved), and another has low blood sugar.
1 had CD and lupus.
1 had CD and DH.
1 was non-celiac, and the rest did not specify.

The ages ranged from 35 to 72 for the 18 people who gave their ages
at the time(s) of the FS attack.
6 respondents reported ages under 50 (35-48), and only one of these
was under 40. 3 were 60 or over.
Average age: 54 and 3 months. (The doctor told me the average age for
FS is 55, so this looks about on target.)

Of course, no conclusions can be made on the basis of a straw poll
taken from such a limited group, but that the overwhelming majority
of sufferers are women, most of whom are menopausal or
post-menopausal, suggests to me that more is going on with FS than a
simple reaction to injury. Most people do suffer injuries to their
shoulders at several points in their lives - falls, strains, etc. Why
is the FS reaction so confined to women of a certain age? Is something
hormonal involved? That it is an inflammatory condition, and that it
is often associated with thryroid or diabetic problems seems to me to
put it in the arena with other auto-immune related troubles.

On a hopeful note to those who are presently suffering from FS,
nobody reported having FS twice in the same shoulder, although some
of the uncertain/non-FS respondents had had problems with the same
shoulder(s) more than once, usually associated with severe injury. (I
heard some hair-curling stories!) Also hopeful, most resolved the FS
within a year and a half, some within weeks.

There was a lot of information in the 32 posts I received. If I have
left anybody out, please accept my apologies, and let me know, so
that the additional information can be sent to the list. My email
provider is also very unstable, so I may not have received all the
posts that were sent, or may not have successfully sent my thanks to
all who responded. If I did not answer a post of yours, please
re-send it.

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore