From:
Thomas Weafer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 22:30:32 +0100

Hi all!

Ireland is a good place to visit if you are a coeliac. The condition is
common here - about 1 in 200-300 people have the condition. Doctors are
well-versed in the symptoms.  Here are some suggestions :

Supermarkets :

Superquinns
Crazy Prices
Quinnsworth
Tesco
Marks & Spencers

All decent-sized pharmacies keep GF products or will get them for you the
next day or so. Most health-food stores keep a range of GF foods.
Please note that in Ireland the Coeliac Society recommends Nutricia products
and Ultrapharm which contain GF wheat starch which we consider safe. I use
these products myself and have recovered completely since being diagnosed.
This GF Wheat starch is guaranteed GF under the international code Codex
Alimentarius.
Clara's Kitchen brand make good biscuits.

Restaurants:

Dublin-

Patrick Garibaldi , Temple Bar (near Central Bank)
Trastavere's, Temple Bar
Cornucopia Reastaurant, Wicklow St.
The Kilkenny Shop, Nassau St.
Quaglino's, 88 Clanbrassil St.
Shalimar (Indian), George's St.
Fitzer's, Baggot ST., Dawson St. and the RDS
Roly's Bistro, on Ballsbridge (a bit pricey but absolutely brilliant. The
chef is a coeliac. Can buy beautiful selection of breads to take away).

Cork-

Fernhill House Hotel
Clonakilty

Paddy Garibaldi's

Westmeath-

The Hodson Bay Hotel
Athlone

Clare-

The Old Ground Hotel

Dalcassion Restaurant (almost all their food is GF)

Kildare-

Butt Mullins
Naas

Silken Thomas
Kildare Town

Louth-

Triple House
Termonfeckin

McKevitt's Hotel
Carlingford

Galway-

Portumna Hotel(owner has coeliac children)

Donegal-

Foreland Heights

Belfast-

Wellington Park Hotel

The Four Winds

Omagh-

Royal Arms Hotel

Down-

Burrendale, Newcastle

Derry-

Brown's Restaurant

Guesthouses-

Wexford-

Gloria and Allen Proby, Riverfield Farm House, Inch (coeliac children)

Kilkenny-

Glenraha Farmhouse, Mullinavat (owner coeliac)

I haven't tried all these myself but they have been recommended in various
coeliac newsletters here.

The address of the Irish Coeliac society is:
The Coeliac Society of Ireland
Carmichael House
4 North Brunswick Street
Dublin 7
They provide a list of local GF manufactured products which they recommend.

Hope this helps anyone visiting Ireland.

Regards to all on the list.

Deirdre
Ireland

(PS I have no connections with any of these products or establishments)