Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:47:59 -0700

We just don't go for dim sum.....the few things my husband might be
able to have (contamination is still a problem even with rice noodles
because they don't really scrub their pots they just steam clean them)
won't compensate for him having to sit there watching everyone else eat
wonderful things.

My husband is Chinese... so we eat dim sum quite a bit.  I can only
tell you that GF is not the easiest thing to find on the menu - so eat
quite a bit before you go.  You can get steamed vegetables, but those
items are not considered part of dim sum but "specials".  Some of the
other items (Chun fun w/beef, pork, or shrimp) IS GF WITHOUT the soy
sauce & oil topping.  Chun fun is steamed soft rice noodle wrapped
around beef, shrimp, or pork.  Other dim sum items use wheat starch
which is consider GF in Europe but not here.  Congee (rice porridge) is
usually GF - depending upon the ingredients that you add.  THe basic
porridge is always the same (just rice porridge) then different
ingredients (usually pork, green onion) because otherwise there is no
flavor at all.  You can alos have sticky rice (not the fried rice which
has soy sauce) wrapped in banana leaves (it's called NoMaiGai
(pronounced No My Guy).)  This is just steamed rice with meat, egg, and
vegetables.  It's quite filling and good.

    I can't think of anything else at the moment.  Sorry!  I'll let you
know if I do - but please do share what you find out with everyone!

 BY THE WAY - the clear (almost see-through) wrappers around shrimp
(Ha-gow) and similar wrappers are the ones made out of wheat starch.  -
Kate

You may find that these work for you also (I don't remember the chinese
names):

Shrimp with pineapple (sometimes called shrimp salad). This comes with
mayo, but you don't have to use it.

Green pepper pieces stuffed with shrimp Eggplant stuffed with shrimp
(ask them not to pour the sauce) Broth is often served, just don't have
the cut pieces of bread put in it. tofu squares stuffed with shrimp - Carol T

You can eat moo moo gai pan. OR, you could bring your own soy sauce to
a restaurant and see if they can make you a dish separately.

I found these pictures of dim sum dishes for those curious what the
above look like: http://www.dimsum.com/ds1.html

And recipes:
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/bldimsum.htm

Looking at the recipes the tarot root dessert, mango pudding, and
turnip cake should be gluten-free.  Since not all kitches are created
equal, I'd check with the kitchen or wait staff to be sure.

The steamed broccoli, for those who haven't had it, is very good.  It's
Chinese broccoli.  Tricky to eat with chopsticks, so be careful of your
clothing.

Angie
LA, CA