Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2004 17:13:33 EDT

My sincere thanks to all of you for your helpful suggestions and thoughtful
comments. I will post recipes separately. Best wishes to all.
Pat
-------
My original question:
What do celiacs with additional allergies to eggs, dairy, soy, peanut,
almonds, shrimp, and chocolate eat in addition to plain meats, chicken, fish, fresh
fruits and vegetables?
-------
RESOURCES to check:
Eat Right for your Type by Dr. Peter D'Adamo
Why Stomach Acid is Good for You  by Jonathan Wright
Mexican (sans cheese) and Vietnamese and Thai cookbooks
We use some powdered supplements from Environmed Research in Canada
Primal Defense from www.gardenoflifeusa.com REALLY helped me.   It heals the
gut...
thecravingplace.com      541-388-BAKE
Enjoy Life Foods - www.enjoylifefoods.com
Dedicated plant with no gluten, nuts, dairy, eggs or soy.
Foodnetwork.com has tons of recipes
www.lundberg.com

DAIRY SUBSTITUTIONS;
Use coconut milk
Goat milk products (yogurt, cheese, kefir, milk) – sub cup for cup
A good dairy substitute is DariFree
Westbrae Rice Milk and Trader Joe's Organic rice milk are gluten free.
Lundberg Rice Milk
Substitute ice cream called Sweet Nothings
 Substitute ice cream Rice Dream - the Vanilla, strawberry, praline (which I
have not found in the store) and the Vanilla Orange are all okay for us to eat
Use clarified butter (which is casein free), or coconut oil for fats
Soy free rice cheese; rice parmesan cheese (great on spaghetti squash)
Make a sort of butter by freezing a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and
salt

EGG SUBSTITUTIONS:
EnerG Egg Replacer,
use gelatin instead of eggs - for baked things
flaxseed meal can be used as a substitute for eggs, butter, oil, margarine,
Flaxseed is so great, that when I make pancakes I use it as a substitute for
shortening, butter/oil and eggs in Bette Hagman's pancake recipe.
1 teaspoons flax meal to 1⁄4 cup water equals 1 egg.
1 Tablespoons of Flax meal to 3 tablespoons of cold water—egg replacer
Use applesauce to replace eggs, cup for cup, in sweet baked goods.

SNACKS:
crackers, cookies, biscottis and cashew butter (like peanut butter).
Lundberg rice cakes
Lundberg Rice Chips
Enviro kids rice bars - I get them at Trader Joe
dried fruits are great for snacks
Potato chips and popcorn
Pecans and walnuts and macadamia nuts
Guacamole with corn chips
pecans, walnuts, cashews, brazil and pine nuts
cashew butter, tahini (sesame seed butter),

COMBINATIONS TO TRY:
Salad greens with craisins (dried cranberries), walnuts, and balsamic
-garlic and olive oil (garlic, olive oil, salt, lemon juice, chick peas and
tahini make hummus dip.   nummy)
-jarred artichokes and avocado add flavor and texture to salads (don't
forget goat cheese and olives!!)
-olive oil, lemon juice, fresh garlic and salt make a great marinade for any
meat or fish (Greek style)
-cocoa and stevia (sugar replacement) + goat milk for cocoa mix
-carob powder, dandelion root for coffee type drinks
-regular or decaf green tea (high in anti-oxidants)
-Many flours are great to use, sorghum, quinoa, buckwheat, montina (a brand
name) and bean flours.
Gluten free pastas, beans, baked beans, black beans
Lentil soup with a little spinach added for flavor
split pea soup and hummus
Corn tortillas as wraps around crispy bacon and cheese
Lettuce as wraps
check out deli meat, bacon, pepperoni, and pork roll
Dehydrate your own foods
Rice pasta with Prego Chunky vegetarian sauce
Amy’s Organic Tomato soup with onions or potatoes added
Cascadian Farms spud Puppies —WILD OATS and KROGERS

Use quinoa flakes to make a hot breakfast cereal with cinnamon, raisins,
brown sugar and cooked apple.

Barbara's brown rice crisp cereal with raisins and water.

1/2 cup coconut milk, gf flour, sugar, and a bit of baking soda – over fruit –
 bake for cobbler
Get a little ice cream freezer that looks like a crock pot and make sorbets!
Enjoy Smuckers jams and jellies

Switch to organic foods!

ONE LISTMATE’S PROGRAM:
What got me well was carefully & strictly following the protocol a
skilled naturopath put me on.   Here's the steps:

(1) Eliminate ALL allergenic foods (I assume you've already done that.)
(2) No sugar or refined starches (I followed this for ONE year.   EVen now
I only indulge once a week.)
(3) Take HCl replacement capsules with EACH meal.   HCl is for stomach
acid replacement.   Food allergies are always associated with abnormally
low levels of stomach acid.   In fact, most GI symptoms are associated
with low stomach acid production.   This condition is called
hypochlorhydria.   You can read more about this on the web, but I
reccommend this book, WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU by Jonathan Wright MD
ND.   You'll find eye popping information in this book that you won't
find anywhere else.   It's a must read for anyone with chronic GI
problems.
(4) After about six months, try reintroducing one food, carefully
observing symptoms.   If you have a reaction such as hearburn, elevated
pulse, headache, mood changes, put that food away for another six months
or a year.
(5) Be patient.   It can take a long time for you to rebuild your immune
system.
(6) About 7 months ago, I added goat milk to my routine & I have found
that I'm now able to eat all sorts of things that used to make me quite
ill.   I believe the beneficial organisms in kefir are really helping heal
my gut & strengthen my immune system.

Thanks again!