From:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Allard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:26:15 -0700

I live an hour from at least four different Whole Foods. Whenever I'm traveling anywhere near any of their locations, I purchase gluten free frozen bread products from some of my favorite manufacturers, including Foods by George, a company that makes fantastic frozen English Muffins. I also regularly order (online) my favorite bread mix from Breads from Anna, a wonderful company that makes a fabulous and easy mix. Once in awhile I am able to find and purchase their products in stores that are closer to my home. As well, there are a lot of other really terrific gluten free mixes for breads, muffins, etc. that I purchase, either online or from retail food stores. I will continue to support, as I hope you will, these companies (many of them small) that provide us with delicious, healthy gluten free options.

  On the other side of the same coin, sometimes I have nothing left in the freezer and I can't make it to these stores, so I try baking from scratch, most of the time using recipes from some of the great gluten free cookbooks that are now available.

  On just one of those occasions, my husband (and I) had a yearning for an English Muffin (like the Thomas' English Muffins of blessed memory, with the nooks and crannies). I decided to try and make them from scratch, gluten free of course. I had just finished a package of Foods by George English Muffins and decided to try using the ingredients listed on their package, trying to come up with my own recipe. I made one batch and threw them in the trash. They were inedible. Sticky and totally devoid of taste! I posted my English Muffin recipe to this listserve, hoping to get some help in improving their taste and consistency. I got a few emails with suggestions for improvement, though haven't tried any of them yet.

  I am writing this email because I'm not sure that I was as clear as I could've been in my email. The recipe is REALLY NOT good. Don't waste your time or ingredients!!! Once it's improved upon, I will post it. But for now, it is still in development. I was simply emailing and asking for suggestions for how to improve their taste and texture based on the recipe thus far developed.

  And lastly, I want to make a pitch for all of us continuing to support the companies that have made our gluten free lives tolerable, that continue to provide us with delicious gluten free foods. It is my way of saying thank you to the people, large and small, who spend considerable time, energy, and financial resources to help us eat and become healthy again!

Regards, Ellen
  http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/
  http://www.peterandellen.com