From:
Michael Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Kern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:56:46 -0700

Hi Listmates,

A few months ago I asked a question about choosing a binder/breading for
salmon croquettes. I eat low-carb as well as GF, so I couldn't just use
GF breadcrumbs. One of the suggestions was almond meal. I bought a bag
of this from Trader Joe's. It is called "Trader Joe's Just Almond Meal,
and it comes in one pound bags. I don't remember the price, but it is
pretty cheap.

Anyway, I made some patties tonight, and they were superb! My salmon is
red salmon, and comes in 7.5 oz. tins. I get it by the case. It's called
Rubenstein's Red Salmon. It's packed by Trident. Excellent canned
salmon. To one can of this I added one large egg, and a bit of finely
diced onion and celery, maybe a tbsp or so of the almond meal-(I am not
really a measuring person!). I formed the croquettes, and then gently
and lightly dusted the surface with more almond meal. Cooked it in bit
of oil in an iron skillet on medium low flame. It made a nice surface
glaze, and the inside was very moist.

Really easy to make-I did it while I was hungry and talking on the phone
at 9 o'clock - and really satisfying. Made 4 medium patties or I would
say 2 servings.

Thanks for the suggestion; I feel it is a big success.

I hope everyone is enjoying his/her summer.

Mike