From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 13:17:54 -0700

I began this inquiry with the following:

 > I note that Allegra and Claritin have lactose in
 > them: does anyone know of
 > an effective prescription drug for allergies
 > (preferably indoor allergies)
 > that is GF and DF? -vance

I forgot to mention that I had already tried Zyrtec; it didn't work well
and made we want two naps a day -- I was afraid if I started two naps a day
at my age that people would throw a shawl over me every time I sat down.
But Zyrtec looks like the popular winner in the answers. But remember I had
already excluded Alegra and the regular Claritin, so I don't know how they
might have fared in such a poll.

I decided on trying Claritin Red Tabs, which are GF and DF. The following
are the answers I received from list members: -vance

Claritin Redi-Tabs and Claritin syrup are both dairy free. I'm pretty
sure that the syrup is GF, but you'd have to check for sure. My wheat
allergic son takes it daily w/out problems and he'd be a mess if it had
any trace of wheat. I don't know about the Redi-Tabs GF status, but I
could look it up in the PDR for you if you'd like. That would at least
give you any suspect ingredients. [Editor's note] I did look it up and
the only thing at all suspect is Mannitol, which is a sugar alcohol that
is present in many plants and used in medicine. -vance

Zyrtec is working for me. Once a day

Zyrtec syrup. It works the best for me and I've tried them all.

I could not function without my Zyrtec. The binder is corn starch & it's
gf. It is also great for hives. It is by prescription in the US, but is
OTC in Canada.

Try finding out about Zyrtec. I have both indoor and outdoor
allergies and Zyrtec works just a tad better than
Allegra for me. - (PS - it does seem to dry me out
more than Allegra, so beware...)

I've been taking Trinalin Repetabs for 11 years (as long as I've been wheat
and Dairy Free) and they have never given me problems. They are also the
only antihistimine I have ever used that didn't "fizz out" on me after a
while ( most others only work for a limited time for me). I take them year
round along with allergy serum to keep my allergies and asthma in check.
You may want to check to be sure they are fully GF (I am wheat allergic,
not CD). They are manufactured by Schering/Key.

for allergy medication i use 'novo-pheniram/chlorpheniramine
maleate'...this is the 'no name brand' of chlorotripilon (spelling??).
it is gluten free and it's a behind the counter med...you don't need a
prescription!