From:
Wendi Benecke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2000 10:28:56 -0700

This message goes out to all the people suffering from Gerd and
Celiac, and to thank you so much for the responses. It seems that
many people have the painful combination of both diseases.

Watching the diet even closer seems to be the key to getting this
under control and finding the right medication. It is alot of work,
but to be rid of the pain I think, is every ones ultimate goal. The
following are a few of the kind responses I received.
Yeah, many celiacs have GERD. I tried Prevacid too, but it didn't
handle the problem, so I went back to Zantac 75. I use two tabs
before any meal I know will cause problems: alcohol, fat, and acid
foods, especially tomatoes -- in that order.

Alcohol and fats are the worst because they relax the sphincter at
the bottom of the esophagus, this lets the acid back up into the
esophagus and cause the pain. Sometimes it's a chest pain like a
heart attack. When I first start noticing a little heart burn I take
two Zantac. Then two hours later if it hasn't stopped, I take two
more. On my worst days, I take still two more. That usually handles
it. That's still less than in prescription Zantac. Sometimes I use
Tums for more immediate relief, but that's an antacid, and antacids
dilute the acid, causing the stomach to secrete more acid. Called the
rebound effect. Acid inhibitors such as ZAntac and prevacid don't do
this.

If worst comes to worst, you know, there is a new treatment that has
been giving excellent results: they anesthetize you, put a device
down your esophagus, burn the spincter slightly with radio waves, and
send you home. It tightens the spincter and stops the problem more
than eighty percent of the time. It's a simple outpatient procedure.
Best wishes. -

Yes, I have both Gerd and celiac.  I was put on Prevacid too.  It took
about 2 weeks for me to see any difference.  I hate to tell you this,
but I went off it for another reason.  I kept having these terrible
esophageal spasms!  They would start at my ribs, and I would feel just
like I was being squeezed by my own ribs, but could not control it!  The
spasms were just awful and would progress to my esophagus and the pain
was intense.  I thought I must be getting unintentional gluten in my
system.  Finally I read where Prevacid, can actually CAUSE these
spasms!  Read the very small print on the manufacturer's printout!  Not
what your pharmacist gives you, but the manufacturer's printout.
Sometimes the pharmacy does not include these , you have to ask for
them.  Now my gerd was better, but these spasms were terrible!  I
couldn't believe this med was causing this.  Well, guess what? It was!
It took me quite a while to wean myself off the Prevacid, because my
reflux would be worse, but going off the Prevacid entirely and staying
off it has cured my esophageal spasms!  I now just watch what I eat and
don't EVER drink ANYTHING past 8 P.M. at night.  I also have to watch
greasy things, like gravy and anything high fat.  I just couldn't
believe this med. was causing such awful pain, but it did!  I still have
reflux from time to time, but the painful spasms just weren't worth
being on the medicine.

   I found out later, that according to medical literature, a person with
a hiatal hernia  (I've got one) should be very cautious about taking any
meds like Prevacid!  Doctors don't tell you this!  I sure hope it helps
you and doesn't hinder you, but I just wanted you to know what I went
through with this med. J. Hopkins Yes, I have both Gerd and celiac.
[...]

Two years ago when I self diagnosed myself, GERD was one of my problems.
I did not go to the doctor, because I didn't want to be put on a
medication that would mask symtoms without treating what I felt was
probably an underlying cause.  Once I cut gluten out of my diet, the
problem went away.  It did take a few months though.

Two years ago when I self diagnosed myself, GERD was one of my problems.
I did not go to the doctor, because I didn't want to be put on a
medication that would mask symtoms without treating what I felt was
probably an underlying cause.  Once I cut gluten out of my diet, the
problem went away.  It did take a few months though.

  I was diagnosed with celiac about 2-1/2 yrs. ago.  About a year and a
half ago I started suffering terribly from GERD.   My dr put me on Prilosec
and Propulsid - I stayed on those for quite some time with very little
relief.  Then switched me to Previcid.  A little help, but not much.  When I
reached the point where I was sitting up at night to sleep- didn't dare lay
down -burning was just too awful- doctor ran a couple of tests to see if I
was a good candidate for surgery.  It's called fungopilaton.  I passed the
tests (or failed the tests ) whichever.  Anyhow, had the surgery done in
early November 99 - haven't had a Previcid, Prilosec or even a Rolaid since
then!    The surgery is really fairly simple - it's done laporoscopically -
five very tiny incisions around your tummy.  Mine ended up being somewhat of
a problem - when they got the scope in to start the surgery they found that
about half of my stomach had moved up into my check cavity - hadn't been seen
on any of my x-rays because it was behind the esophagus.  Anyhow, once that
was fixed and they fixed the esophagus - I recovered within about 10 days and
was back at work.  I have one residual problem from the surgery - that is
terrible gas eveytime I eat - but after the GERD pain and burning and
suffering - I'll take the gas - I can take some OTC medication for that -
Beano works pretty well.  Anyhow, I have never heard anyone say that celiacs
suffer more GERD than the general population, but I know that mine sure as
heck didn't start until my symptoms of celiac started.  If you GERD isn't too
bad yet, the Prilosec should help.  Good luck with it - I hope you get some
good relief  with it.

Hi,
I am on Axid for hiatal hernia discomfort. I have pain where you have it
I think. High in the abdomen but below the breast bone.  It feels like
gas pains. I do not have acid reflux but am still on this med for the
symptoms.  I took Prevacid and they all help but sometimes they don't
seem to and you get symptoms anyway. I was on all of them. Maybe they
stop working after a while, I don't know but I have tried them all.
Give the medicine a chance to work. It takes time. I once had such a bad
attack, it took 10 mos to feel better again.

Yes I do!  I take prescription Zantac two times a day.  Some days are worse
than others, but mostly I get relief from the Zantac medication and
occasionally I take an extra over the counter Zantac 75 for the really bad
days.  BTW, I only do this because my Dr. told me it was OK to supplement on
a really bad day.

I just heard within the last two weeks that our condition has the potential
to cause esophageal cancer if left unchecked.  I also heard that there is a
new surgical procedure to help us.  It tightens the upper sphincter of the
stomach (I think that's what they said) and this helps to keep the stomach
acid in the stomach where it belongs.  I will definitely be listening to
hear more about this procedure and how effective it is.

I am a dietitian and a nurse and a celiac (DH, predominately.)

GERD is a disorder which is common in non-celiacs as well as celiacs.
You don't mention your age, but it usually occurs in middleage but more
and more commonly is occurring in young adults, even teens.

The prilosec can cause stomach pain, gas, diarrhea, flatulence, nausea,
dizzyness, skin rash, etc. etc. etc. (yes, some of same symptoms as
GERD!)

May have to try another medication for excess acidity, or increase
dosage of prilosec.  But before even considering either of these
options, doctors very often fail to mention to patients that there are
dietary and lifestyle changes which MUST be made to eliminate/decrease
reflux symptoms:
        eliminate fat in diet (even GOOD fats)
        eliminate chocolate in diet
        eliminate all forms of caffeine (coffee, tea, choc., cola, Mt. Dew..)
These 3 "foods" (if they can be called food) relax the upper sphincter
from the esophagus to the stomach, allowing food/acid to flow backwards
into esophagus.

Also:
        don't eat within 2 hours of going to bed or lying down
        increase fiber in your diet to 30 or more grams/day
        LOOSEN your belt! (so simple, but so effective!)
        eat very small meals and have small lowfat protein snacks betw meals
        don't bend over from the waist, especially after eating anything
        raise head of bed on blocks about 4" (not YOUR head, head of BED)
        alcohol also relaxes sphincter (avoid all)
        (try to avoid eating heavily when stressed, rushed or upset)
My patients can often give up medication to decrease acid IF they can
follow these guidelines.  As I said, it's a complete lifestyle
change...(difficult)

And of course, be sure there are no hidden glutens in your diet (but I
know you knew that already...)

Dear Wendi,
        I also have GERD and Celiac.  What a pain!  I was on Prevacid for a
long time but now opt not to take it unless I'm feeling really bad.  (I
hate the thought of being on it indefinitely, as my doctor recommended.)  I
must admit, a good portion of my problem w/the GERD is that I don't "follow
the rules", tho I am meticulous about my GF diet, I am not so w/the GERD
lifestyle.  I do have aa cup of coffee every so often, I do eat chocolate,
and have a drink every so often and I don't eat 4 hours before bedtime
(plus all the other annoying rules.)  Hence, I pay the consequences.

        Last year, I needed to have the esophugus dialation procedure done.
The doctor said it may be needed again. (Not fun.)  I am considering the
laproscopy surgery, which has a good success rate of fixing the problem.
Presently, I am researching for a good doc in the Phx area w/experience
performing this procedure.