Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 22:55:35 -0500

I wonder if other CD-niks share with me having lower than "normal" body
temperatures and/or blunted fever response and low (although in the
acceptable range, in my case) blood pressure and pulse.  Because I had
the same internist for 30 years who became well-acquainted with this
idiosyncrasy, it caused problems only when he was not available.   I
once had EMS people trying to throw tubes into me because they thought I
was going into shock and it was simply that I had time to get real
relaxed on the gurney while waiting for them to get to me (regarding
what turned out to be a false alarm) and the vital signs that alarmed
them were well within my normal range.

I put "normal" body temperature in quotes above because there really are
no statistical data on body temperature from large general population
samples adequate for establishing what the variation is for individuals
(and instrument) by measurement site, activity, diurnally, seasonally
and over the age span or as between subgroups of the population.  What
has been established is that, as with CD, when it comes to knowledge of
body temperature and fever most physicians have limited knowledge and
believe some things that aren't so.  Also as with CD, a bright light on
this topic comes from a University of Maryland expert (P. A.
Mackowiak).  (I will send some references  if requested  or I'll put
them in my Summary.)