Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 14:37:16 -0600

Hi.  I am the mother of four boys.  The oldest one has autism and has been on the Gluten free and Casein Free diet for years.  He doesn't have celiac disease, but doesn't metabolize the proteins and has leaky gut.  My two middle boys seem OK.  My youngest, age 3, showed autistic tendencies, but is only diagnosed as speech delayed.  I had him on the diet for over a year prophylactically, just in case he was to be diagnosed as autistic like his older brother.  Then, about 6 months ago, I allowed him to gradually eat a regular diet, observing him for changes in bowel patterns, sleep pattern, etc.  I noted no change.  Approximately two months ago, he began to develop a "rash" on his left knee.  It was patchy, and began to spread up the side of that same leg.  I don't see it anywhere else.  It is not eczema.  A friend of ours said it could be Dermatitis Herpetiformis.  To my surprise, I researched the causes of DH and found it was from a gluten allergy.  Wow.  Now I feel badly for letting him eat regular food.  I have an appt. for the dermatologist to have this diagnosis either confirmed or ruled out.  I would love to hear from others with DH to compare symptoms, etc.  Doing the diet with young children is very challenging because they don't understand.  There are lots of wonderful GF products out there, but I cannot believe there is no GF "cheerio" substitute.  Does anyone know of one?  At his age, he still loves cheerios and is begging for them.

Thanks,

Trina Montgomery