Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 18:04:07 -0700

As a follow-up to Mike Strang's recent posting re gelatin capsule composition...

This is part of an article about Jell-O and the Atlantic Gelatin plant in
Woburn, Massachusetts (Associated Press, by Robin Estrin, in the January 19,
1996 edition of the San Diego Union Tribune--I think you can access it at
http://www.uniontrib.com).

". . . . Gelatin is made from the hide trimmings of cows and pigs, not from
their horns, hooves or meat.

First, the skins are washed and bathed in hot water to remove the collagen.
Once extracted, the collagen is soaked, filtered and purified, converting the
collagen to gelatin, Kraft spokeswoman Cathy Pernu said. The gelatin extract is
then evaporated and dried, and sent along with flavored powders to Dover, Del.,
and San Leandro, Calif. for packaging. Oils that are left in the hot water
baths are sold for pharmaceutical and industrial use. Any remaining solids are
removed and sold as compost. . . ."

Please email me privately if you want the whole article, which mostly deals
with Atlantic Gelatin's air pollution.

Jan Hill, San Diego