Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:13:06 -0500

My family clammers for cooked fruits and breads with a sweet touch.  Here's
my recipe for everyday leftover bread pudding:

Three good size uncooked apples anything you have left in the refrig you can
also use other fruit cut up into medium size pieces

a fistful of raisins

a fistful of dried cranberries (I have small hands)

one half or less cup sugar or one quarter cup of honey

you can add some chopped up nuts, sneak in a little flax seed, what type of
crunch turns you on

assemble all the above into one bowl and mix for about thirty seconds lazily
by hand.  Set aside and let the flavors intermingle while you are cutting up
however you like two cups overflowing of any old bread or unseasoned pizza
or a mix of breads, of course, goes without saying on this list gluten free.
Throw all this into the apple mixture and give it a quick toss.

In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients:  three eggs - I like my bread
pudding more pudding like, one cup of silk soy plain never vanilla flavor it
is horrible chalky tasting or a little less depending on what type of bread
you are using (I am dairy free) you can use real milk or cream, one half
teaspoon vanilla, two pinches of cinnamon, one quarter pinch of nutmeg great
if you have fresh grated, one pinch of ground ginger.  Any variation of
spices will work, or no spice at all, depending on your preference.  Mix the
wet ingredients well, and then pour into bowl containing apple mixture.
Toss the entire mixture without damaging your bread chunks.

Pour into well greased with either olive oil or butter eight by eight baking
dish, or five by nine baking dish, bake at 350 degrees three hundred fifty
for 30 to 45 minutes depending on how fast your oven is.  You will see it
bubble in the center, the egg milk mixture is setting.  Sometimes I have to
bake a little more than 45 minutes because the eggs are larger, or the
apples are more juicy.  This is almost a fool proof recipe.  It makes the
house smell great, is always welcome for company to be served with coffee or
tea.  Bread pudding of some sort or another is a true American comfort food,
and this recipe renders it unrecognizable that it is gluten free.  Bread
pudding is also appropriate to bring to picnics, church suppers, pot luck
dinners.  The dairy free version can be served in the warmer months at room
temperature.  It is best just out of the oven and let come to almost room
temperature, but can be refrigerated nicely for next day or later day.  If
you refrigerated it overnight and it appears a little dry, just pour small
amount milk or cream of your choice, spinkle a small amount of sugar to help
set and it refreshes the pudding texture.

I choose apples for this recipe because they are highly nutritious and high
in fiber, and I have a problem eating raw apples, the juice chokes my throat
for some reason.  Newer celiacs who still have irritated GI tracts may enjoy
mildly cooked fruits as they are easier on your digestive system.  However,
I cannot recommend more highly eating all sorts of fruits in their raw form
in addition, taking full advantage of season's best.  Happy eating, Dorina,
near Galveston, TX

*******
*******