From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:13:28 -0800

This should be of interest since so many of us celiacs have food allergies
in addition to our gluten sensitivity.  This is totally consistent with my
experience.  I had never had food allergies until about 8 years ago.  Then
suddenly I seemed to develop a new food allergy every week or two!  A few
years after all these reactions began, I finally found answers & solutions
from a well trained naturopath in Seattle.   He diagnosed pernicious anemia.
  Pernicious anemia results from the destruction of specialized cells in the
stomach that secrete: pepsin, intrinsic factor and STOMACH ACID!  I actually
had my stomach acid measured & I was found to be very deficient in stomach
acid.  My doctor put me on B12 shots for the anemia and stomach acid
supplementation (HCl+pepsin) to improve digestion.  I was very, very ill at
that time & reacted to just about anything & everything I put in my mouth no
matter how mild or careful I was.  Now, after being on HCl supplementation
for about 3 years, I can eat just about anything I want (except gluten, of
course) as long as I am moderate.

This Seattle naturopath is the same excellent physician who put me on
HeartBurn Free, the heartburn remedy I recently posted about that treats
heartburn w/o interferring with stomach acid production.  Heartburn Free
made by Enzymatic Therapy is available on line and in many health food
stores.

Here are some interesting articles on non-commercial websites that have been
recently published about the link between low stomach acid and allergies:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=4395
http://www.worldallergy.org/media/press_releases/03_congress_food_allergy.html
http://www.greatestherbsonearth.com/nsparticles/antacids_heartburn.htm
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/courses/bio115/pepsin.htm