From:
Abigail Neuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:01:54 PST

I have a question regarding amylase enzyme levels.  A woman named Nancy
from the celiac Medsupport forum asked me to address the list regarding
this.  She has celiac disease--was diagnosed 19 years ago as an infant.
Six months ago she was diagnosed with FMS.  She is now trying to follow
the gf diet faithly.  Her doctor told her that her amylase enzyme levels
are extremely high, but he considered this normal for someone with
celiac disease.

I noticed in our archives that enzyme levels in celiacs are generally
lower, not higher.  There was nothing there for me to help her know if
this is in fact true for celiacs.  Is there anyone out there who can
tell me if this enzyme level is high for celiacs when they are or are
not following a gf diet?  What is a normal level?  Do you have personal
experience regarding these levels?  Could you please write.

You may write Nancy directly; her email address is:

If you carbon me, I could post a summary on this.

Thanks for your assistance in this.  I will continue to encourage Nancy
to join this list.

Abigail