From:
Bill Avery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 13:28:02 EST

I received the following responses to my question that movie popcorn butter
causes celiac reactions.  Some responses are below and most blamed the canola
oil.  Whole point is to refrain from having popcorn with "golden oil" on it.

I am a self-diagnosed celiac, but have had blood tests that showed allergies
to wheat, soy, yeast, dairy and eggs.  I have no actual proof of this, but I
would bet that the "butter" is loaded with soybean oil.  Lots of celiacs
have reactions to this.

It *might* be from canola oil, which bothers a lot of "us", not gluten.
That's what happens to me.

my daughter workds part-time in a upscale Manhattan movie theatre.  In
addition to all the preservatives found in the "butter" it is made with
canola oil, therefore definitely not gf.

I checked and found that they use canola oil on the popcorn now, which can
contain gluten because rapeseed (what canola oil is made from) is grown in
fields where wheat is grown and therefore can cause problems in some celiacs.

I wouldn't be surprised if your "celiac problems" are
really food poisoning.  Several of my non-celiac grandchildren have been made
sick by theater popcorn

I don't know about the butter but the oil they pop it in is coconut.

one of my worst nights was after the movie house changed thair mix thay used
on thair popcorn ,i could not beleave it so i tried it again about two weeks
later.but nevermore!!!