From:
Kathy Slater <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:05:57 EDT

Thank you to all that responded to my request for help with food ideas while
vacationing in Branson, MO. This list reaffirms one's belief that the world is
filled with good, kind, and caring people! I have to admit we were nervous
about traveling for the first time since our celiac diagnosis 18 months ago.
After the wonderful response we have received, I am convinced we will be just
fine.

IN THE SILVER DOLLAR CITY THEMED PARKS:
Many people found the GF food options to be limited in the Silver Dollar City
(SDC) parks. "It's amusement park food with a southern emphasis," as one
person wrote. Many suggested eating a good, hearty breakfast at our cabin, then
bringing snacks to get us through the day. Some GF options suggested while at
the parks were: fruit smoothies, frozen lemonade, hamburger with out the bun,
and salad.

I did receive a response from someone with contact information we plan to
follow up with. The executive chef of the SDC parks is Chef Zader. She wrote, "I
wasn't able to get ahold of him but was told that his office was in one of the
big family restaurants as you enter the park. I just went there right when
they opened and asked to speak to him. He came out and talked to me for quite a
long time. He was a very nice man and even commented that he wished more
people would talk to him about their special dietary needs. He admitted that he was
not that knowledgeable (at least at that time) (approx. early 2002) about the
gf way of eating but was able to answer all my questions. My husband and I
spent two days at SDC and had a great time and I never once got sick so I would
say it was a success." A reply to my request for help from the SDC website
provided me with this additional contact info: Silver Dollar City's Food Division
Office may be reached by phone at 417-338-8191.

RESTAURANTS OUTSIDE THE PARK:
Suggested places to eat outside the parks included the following: (please
note - location information, specific foods not provided but I'm sure we can
figure it out)
Dockers for the breakfast buffet
Red Lobster (very accommodating)
Baskin Robbins, TCBY and Dairy Queen for treats

Finally, I've saved the best for last. A wonderful lady named Barb, who lives
nearby sent a wealth of information, along with her personal phone number and
the message, "please let me know what I can do to help you." She is an
absolute angel and I wanted to publicly thank her from the bottom of my heart for
her assistance.

Barb sent GF information for these fast food chains Denny's, McDonalds,
Panera's, TCBY, and Wendy's.
Her favorite places to eat in Branson include:

Lone Star; located on Green Mountain Drive right behind the Grand Palace
(unmarinated grilled meat-pork chop chicken or steak, baked potato, or baked sweet
potato, grilled veggies, salad w/o croutons)

Landry's, located on the west end of "the strip," Route 76 (famous for
seafood, pricey but well worth it! Wonderful appetizer of beefsteak tomato,
mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinagrette)

Pzazz, located on Route 165-head west ou Route 76 to Route 165, turn left,
follow the road for a couple of miles, you'll see it at the top of the hill.
(great salad bar and hot food bar on Saturday and Sunday-noon and one night
during the week. Food suggestions at this restaurant include chopped sirloin with
grilled onions, baked potato and fixins from the salad bar such as salad with
vinegar/oil dressing, pickled beets, cucumbers with onion and vinegar).

Boston Market - located in Springfield, MO
Outback Steakhouse - located in Springfield, MO - NOTE: this Outback is not
part of the chain. Can accommodate GF with grilled meats, baked potato and
salad.

HEALTH FOOD STORES:
Nature's Sunshine on Route 76. It is in a little strip mall almost right
across the street from the Alaska Down South store, toward the east end of Route
76. Nice assortment of GF foods.

Country Mart grocery store, on Route 248, which is the exit off Route 65 and
north of Route 76. There is a KMart in the same complex as the Country Mart.
They have a large health food section and carry many GF products like cereals,
Tinkyada pasta, Gluten Free Pantry mixes, Bob's Red Mill flours and mixes, and
some of Amy's frozen dinners, and Van's waffles. Also have Boar's Head deli
meats and cheeses, but remember to ask them to clean the slicer before cutting
your selections. Hilad Dairy products are commonly found in the Branson
grocery stores and all of their dairy products are GF except for the obvious ones
like ice cream with cookie dough, etc.

I've tried to carefully summarize as many people wrote they are also
traveling to Branson this summer. I hope you will find this helpful. Isn't this
listserve great?

Happy Summer to all,

Kathy Slater
Des Moines, IA