From:
Myrtice Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Myrtice Adamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 11:49:58 -0500

Thanks to everyone who sent responses regarding cold sores.
FYI, following are the responses:

Yes, ice, as GF as you can get!  You have to be able to hold
it on the cold sore for about 20 minutes without anything
between your skin and the ice.  Honest, you get past the
pain after a few uncomfortable minutes.  The whole area
around it has to be so cold that it feels cold to your
tongue.  I have used a couple of ice cubes shaped around the
lip so that it really gets everything cold.  The virus that
causes the sore can't survive the cold.  I used to get them
frequently but after doing this a few times they stopped
occurring.  It really works best if you catch it when it
first starts to tingle but if it does break out before you
ice it, it clears up very quickly in a day or two.  My
husband still gets them occasionally but he never had the
patience to hold the ice on long enough and says it doesn't
work for him.  I'm a nurse and had never heard of this until
a kindly patient told me about it.  I never researched it
because as soon as the person told me I went and grabbed the
ice and it worked.  Good luck.

My husband takes acyclovir capsules as soon as he feels a "tingle" on his
lip that might be a cold sore.  It prevents the cold sore from swelling,
blistering, and helps it to heal faster.
Acyclovir is the generic name, and he has to get a prescription from his MD
for it.  He does not have celiac, and I don't know if it is GF.

I get canker sores, which is a different virus.  I take lysine when I feel
one start, but if it progresses to a painful stage I treat it with
Debacterol, which cauterizes it and stops the pain immediately.  I'm sure
Debacterol is GF, but it is not to be used on cold sores, only canker sores.
Hope this helps,

The Clan Thompson GF Drug Listing has three:
Anbesol Cold Sore Therapy Gel
Blistex Kank-A Liquid
Soft Lips Secret Healer - Cold Sore and Fever Blister Treatment

Prevention mouth wash workes well.  You just dip a q-tip in the mouth wash
and put it right on the cold sore.  The prevention mouth wash also works
well on ulcers in the mouth.                           Hope this helps.

FYI - these things can cause the arginine/lysine ratio to get out of whack.
Chocolate, nuts, flax seed and flax oil, grapes, orange juice, puffed rice,
too many more to type.  See complete list at
http://www.herpes.com/Nutrition.shtml

Flax is not on that list but that information can be found at the following
web site:
http://waltonfeed.com/self/ntr3.html

Being on a GF diet is so restrictive that then limiting the Arginine high
foods too has really limited my food choices but I have definitely had
outbreaks from nuts, wine, rice cakes and the other things on the list with
a high arginine level.  But I do feel that as time passes and my small
intestines heal my body should be most resistant to the herpes and hopefully
the homeopathic treatment I will begin this week will also bring relief.

I have used Abreva and a prescriptio,n
creme for them.  Since I don't injest the creme, I have never been
concerned about Gluten content.  Fortunately, I only get the cold sores
when I am really run down and stressed.

Good luck,

Rather than looking for remedies, probably you still are eating foods that
are weakening your immune system.
For example sugar, dairy, perhaps you have a nut allergy. I had been gluten
free for a long time but I was still getting sick. I found out I was
allergic to nuts, seeds and the products made from them. Also the mouthwash
and toothpaste had grain and nut derivatives in them that were affecting
me. I was getting split and cracked lips and itchiness and finger fungus
too!

Now that I eat only fruit, vegetables, meat, and fish, I feel 100% better.

I had really bad cold sores and I found out that I was B12 def. so if you
haven't then have your level checked. I am being treated with a B12 shot
each month and my cold sores have disappeared.

Good Luck
Use geranium oil (the pure essential oil), a drop or two several times a
day. Use externally only.

I use it when I first feel the funny tingling feeling on my lip and have yet
to have one pop out since using the geranium oil. It works great. Since I am
pregnant, I cannot use meds, so I was doubly delighted that it works so
well.