Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:07:43 -0600

My daughter and I loved flour (soft) tortillas.  My guess would be that
most of us have at least one thing that we *overwhelmingly* miss.

Besides being able to quick grab a burger to eat fast while I'm driving
some where (which is probably a *good* thing to not be able to do now!),
we miss our flour tortillas.

I was pretty excited about the flour tortilla recipe that someone
pointed out to me (us) on a website.

So I decided to give it a try too...(Carly Simon's
song...'Anticipation!!' kept playing again and again in my head.)

Nope - they didn't come out too well.  I had a flour mix at home here
that I used, one of Bette H's., figured to give it a shot with that.  I
think part of it was perhaps I didn't cut in the shortening well enough.
Not being a 'baking' sort myself, I didn't have a pastry cutter so I
used 2 knives (still hearing 'Anticipation...' ringing in my ears) I
most likely didn't take enough time.

So I am getting ready to try it again!  Got myself a pastry cutter!
Figured it was only a matter of time until I'd have to give in to one of
those anyway.

I bought all of the flours listed in the recipe to use.  I want to be as
perfect as I can to give it the *best* chance possible in coming out
wonderfully!  However - I ran to several stores looking for plain fava
flour and the closest I could come was garbanzo & fava mixed together.
So...again - in my total impatience, I just got the mixed garb. & fava
flour.  I believe only about 1/3 cup of the fava flour goes into the
recipe.

But NOW I'm wondering...will that really make a big difference?

I realized that I have absolutely no idea what so ever...about what
flour does what and what flour is good for what...I just have a bunch of
bags of flours and feel *almost* ready for anything! ;)  But at the same
time I am sitting here staring at them all going..."Wow...lots of flour!
All different! What do I do with those?"  ;)

So I'm pretty much thinkin' here - I should learn more about them all.
My guess is that there is a place that has all of this sort of
information already...isn't there? A book or website about how each
flour reacts....and what flour is used to get 'certain' types of
outcomes must be out there somewhere right?  :)

In all of this - I commented to my DH - there should be a 'gf' baking
and cooking class.  I also figure that, most likely because so many have
trudged this path before me, I probably am not having a single 'new'
thought cross my brain either.  So - are there 'gf' cooking classes?
There all sorts of bread making classes and so on out there - you'd
think a 'gf' baking class would be in the mix somewhere.

Robin
MN