From:
Portia Iversen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 1994 16:24:05 -0800

Dear Joe Murray:
Since celiac disease is immune related could not the sufferer also be
suffering from some form of chronic fatigue syndrome?
Also, I read the following in a medical book description of celiac:
1)"Gluten and the related substance gliaden are high-molecular-weight
proteins found especially in wheat."
Q: Could other high-molecular-weight proteins be bothering a celiac?
2) "It has been demonstrated that patients with sprue in remission will
develope steatorreah and typical mucosal changes when they are given gluten.
Similar results will occur with the administration of peptide
hydrolysates containing at least eight amino acids with a terminal
glutamine residue."
Q: Does this mean that certain foods or amino acid combinations could be
harmful in the same way as gluten?
Thank you for your thoughtful posts and your reply.
                                -Portia