From:
kira haut <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
kira haut <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 08:41:53 -0700

I just returned from a two week stay in jerusalem.
Thanks to those who responded to my inquiry, I went to
the Milca Mall and there, on the first floor, is a
heath food store that carries many gluten free items:
bread (frozen) pasta, pretzels. I loved the cookies
produced in israel, called Eskal. They say gluten
free, in English, on the label. They are chocolate
coated wafer fingers, filled with vanilla cream. truly
delicious! I wish they were available in the US.
I also found these cookies in a small health food
store I walked into on Palmach Street, about 2 blocks
from the Jerusalem Theatre, and some bread (frozen) as
well.
I also love the cookies called Shumshum , in hebrew
packaging. They are produced in israel, and are
delicious sesame cookies. Pareve. I higly recommend
them.
When walking with my family one evening, in Machane
Yehuda, we went to a wonderful bakery called Marzipan.
Everyone loved their pastries, and I was told that the
merangue cookies were gluten free. They were
absoltuely delicious, everyone loved them, they wee
devoured by my grandkids, who are not celiac and who
generally will not touch my stuff.
I went to a kosher Burger King and asked for a burger
plain, not on a bun. Thet caused a brief problem, but
I was served a bun, in a plastic dish, with no
bread.The fries were wonderful, and I assume gluten
free as I ate them with no reaction.
In short, israel seems to be more gluten free friendly
and educated than people in NY are. Delicious rice
cakes are available everywhere, and these Eskal
cookies produced in israel are also found in health
food stores.
So go and enjoy!
Rivka Haut