From:
NLLEWELLYN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
NLLEWELLYN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 2011 21:05:26 -0400

I received a handful of responses, all of them wonderful.

1)       First was a very sensible warning: Check the restaurant out
carefully, because a responder indicated that she had watched a gf pizza
being made, and there was contamination at every step.  For example, a pizza
pan which had been used for a regular pizza was being used for a gf pizza;
the counter had flour on it; the plastic gloves used to handle the dough had
handled a regular pizza.  These are just a few examples - the list of
contaminations goes on.  If a person doesn't understand celiac disease or
doesn't have it or at least a friend/family with it, they have no idea what
a serious health problem the contamination can cause.

2)       www.sillyyakbakery.com contacted me and said they guarantee gf
products and will ship.  They offer nutritional information.  10% off the
first order.  Several folks told me to just ask the restaurant the nutrition
of their gf pizza and, if it is not made on-site, to ask for the package to
see the ingredients, etc.

3)       http://www.stillridingpizza.com/Ingredients.aspx supplies many of
the restaurants in the NE and if you go into that website you will find the
nutritional information.

4)       Some people with a serious case of celiac disease may suffer from
antifalactic shock, so for those folks a responder suggested NO gf pizza if
you don't know the place it's coming from.

5)       My own wonderful experiences with gf pizza restaurants brought me
to two in New York City:  PIE by the Pound at 124 Avenue, and I think some
other addresses, which I like because the owner has a problem with gluten
and so has created desserts, sandwiches and beer which are gluten free.  I
went in there and it would appear that they are all very knowledgeable about
the gluten problem and they will offer nutritional information.  The other
restaurant has a name which I can never remember - something like
Gustonomics.  It is on Avenue of the Americas between 13th and 14th Street
and it is totally "green", the food is all organic, and they have a great
number gf items, including pizza.

So, I'll ask to see labels, check out the above sites on my internet, and
stay away from shops where the people don't seem to know or care about a
person with celiac disease.