From:
Elizabeth Bartilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:26:19 -0500

Here they are! I'm not the lefse maker -- my sister is. I can't wait for her
to try these for me! Thanks to those who responded. I'll summarize again if
I receive more. Now, what we need to do is find someone willing to make and
sell it! Any takers?

For those who don't know what lefse is, it is a Norwegian "treat" that looks
like a mexican flour tortilla with spots. It has a very mild flavor and is
usually (at least in my family) eaten with butter instead of bread at a
meal, or with butter and sugar as a snack.
--------------
Lefse

5 Large Potatoes
1/2 cup sweet cream
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
enough flour to roll out (I use Bette Hagmans GF Blend) about 1/2 c.
maximum

Method:
Boil potatoes, mash very fine and add cream, butter and salt.  Beat until
light and let cool.  Add flour.  Take piece of dough and roll as for pie
crust, rolling thin as possible.  (My Note: A lefse board is handy here)
Bake on top of stove or on a pancake griddle until a light brown, turning
frequently to prevent scorching.  Use moderate heat.  When baked, place
between clean cloths to keep them from becoming dry.
---------------
I have a lefse recipe that I have yet to try, although I plan to try it
in a week or two.

3 cups riced potatoes
2 tablespoons lard
2 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup potato flour
1 tablespoon tablespoon xantham gum
salt

Roll into ball while warm.  Let cool and roll using brown rice flour.
Bake on grill.
--------------------------
I've made lefse for years, but this was the first year I've tried
making it GF (I was just diagnosed last summer).  I just adapted my usual
recipe; the result wasn't bad, but I'll probably work on it some more.
Since I only make it for Christmas, it will be a while.  I'll send you
both recipes (GF and regular), in case you want to play around with it.

Lefse (regular)

2 lbs. potatoes, pared
1/2 cup light cream (I use milk)
3 Tbls. butter
1 tsp. salt
flour

Boil potatoes until tender; drain thoroughly; mash.  Beat in cream,
butter and salt.  Cool to room temperature.
Measure potatoes.  Add 1/2 cup flour for each cup of mashed potatoes; mix
well.
Roll out a heaping tablespoonful of dough (about the size of a small egg)
on a VERY well-floured surface to a 6-inch circle.  (I dip the dough in
the flour, turn it over, and roll as thinly as possible.)
Heat an ungreased griddle over moderate heat until hot.  (Water should
sizzle when dropped on griddle.)
Cook lefse over moderate heat until light brown, turning frequently to
keep from overbrowning.  Lefse will bubble up; press down with pancake
turner.  You will need to wipe your griddle periodically to get rid of
the excess flour.
As each lefse is cooked, place between paper toweling or wax paper to
keep soft.
To serve, spread with softened butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar.
(My son loves to roll it around Swedish meatballs.)

When I made them GF, I just substituted Bette Hagman's GF flour mix for
the regular flour and rolled them out in rice flour.  They looked fine,
but lacked flavor.  Maybe using some soy or bean flour would help.