From:
mannabbe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:02:25 -0800

I want to warmly thank the seven people who replied to my original post and encouraged me to travel to China (with my 10 year old daughter).  I even had offers to meet up with other GF folks traveling in China (so perhaps I will meet some of you!).

Most respondents strongly recommended the Triumph Dining Cards, which are available at http://www.triumphdining.com/
One person recommended that I take a few cards, as some restaurants like the cards and want to keep them!

here's a great guide to Beijing and Shanghai
http://www.thebeijingguide.com/

A couple people said that travel in China is a challenge (harder than Europe), but everyone reported that it is possible to travel GF in China.  Food is available in grocery stores (e.g. rice cakes), and hot pot restaurants are a great place to find GF food (broth with whatever veggies & meat you want to add). Other advice included the following:

Air pollution is bad, so bring any allergy meds that might be needed.

Contact the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) in Seattle. They had several NewsMagazine articles about traveling in the Asian countries some time ago. They also have a paper restaurant card in Chinese at no cost.

Thanks everyone!
Laurie in Seattle