From:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 17:13:18 -0400

Thank you all so much for your help and kindness.  Even though this wasn't a celiac problem, this has been the only place I could find so much info which helped me so much.

Several suggested turning down the pressure (which I had done).

My  problem was I kept feeling as if it was suffocating me.  It was so difficult to breath.  The Dr then switched me to a BIPAP machine and  that was so much better.

Adjust the humidifier.  Also have a machine that ramps up the pressure during the night.

I don't know specifically about CPAP, but I was having stomach irritation at night from GERD. The thing that has helped has been taking a mix:

1/2 cup psyllium (Metamucil)

1 tsp. konjac powder

1 tsp. bentonite

Mix it all up, take 1 tsp. of this mixture in a cup of water. Sprinkle it over the top of the water and let it soften for just a bit, then mix, so it doesn't lump. And drink it quick, because it solidifies!

I've been taking this just before bed, and also when I wake up. It tends to protect the esphagus and stomach tissues, I think. If you take it with meals though, it will help you digest food better. It slows stomach emptying so your stomach acids/enzymes can work longer on the food.

Also Aloe gel works similarly (it has the stuff that is in konjac, plus even more healing properties). Both are very healing for the digestive tract in general.

I found a machine that has the name brand of Respironics.  The model is "RemStar Auto" "M series".  This machine will self-adjust depending on the needs of the patient.  My experience has been, when I review the history, is that some nights I need a lot of  pressure and other nights, not so much.   In my case, the machine does the deciding for me,

The air will always take the path of least resistance       If the lung is stiff or non-compliant an initiated breath will likely go belly and she could swallow alot of air    if the patient has a vigorous resp drive and is initiating all the breaths this is not likely to happen.       Sitting up straighter will minimze this.

One suggested taping one's mouth shut to stop air escaping.

Another sent an article:

Key is the position of the head, and how the position affects the trachea. If the trachea is not fully opened and is not able to accommodate the amount of pressure being delivered by the CPAP machine, then the overflow is going to get pushed into the esophagus. Did you ever take a CPR class? The key to blowing air into someone's lungs is to properly align the neck and head. If you don't do this - that is, if you don't fully open the airway - then you'll be blowing air into the esophagus and stomach. The same principle applies to other non-invasive ventilation techniques, including CPAP therapy.

Second on the list of reasons also has to do with basic fluid dynamics. The CPAP machine might be delivering too much air for your trachea and lungs to handle. This is very closely related to the head position, but it's a little different because the problem could potentially occur when the head and neck are properly aligned and when the trachea is wide open. Remember the last traffic jam you were in? Cars started to leave the jammed up street to take a different route. The same thing happens with gases like air. If the air doesn't fit in the trachea, it's going to go somewhere else. Too much air can cause you to swallow involuntarily (like an uncontrollable gag, really), opening the epiglottis. If you have a high pressure setting, this could be an issue.

Third on the list of reasons is air leaks. No matter your level of CPAP pressure, if air is going in through your nose and is leaking out of your mouth, you will undoubtedly swallow involuntarily. If the leaks are bad enough you'll probably end up ripping your mask off your face during the night without even knowing it. Leaks out the mouth when using a nasal mask are very uncomfortable and bascially intolerable, and can definitely contribute to aerophagia.

  a.. Adjust the position of your head so that it's not tilting forward while you sleep - keep the airway wide open
  b.. Talk to your prescribing doctor about reducing the pressure setting on your CPAP machine
  c.. Consider an automatic CPAP machine - they generally deliver much less than prescribed pressure
  d.. Consider a machine with exhalation pressure relief - this will help prevent involuntary swallowing; in conjunction with an automatic machine your aerophagia days may be over rather quickly

If there is high-resistance pressure for you blowing out, then your stomach/lungs will be full and remain full as you seem to describe - hence the gas issue.  It is not necessarily the inbound pressure that is the problem.  It could be the air you breathe out has a high resistance.

The machine I use has a feature that the resistance to blowing out is owner adjustable at 3 different

levels.  I think that sounds like your issue.  I could be wrong.   I have had mine for over 3 years

now and am very satisfied.

Have you tried wearing a chin strap under the full mask to keep your mouth closed? Warning - with some people, the jaw stays closed, but the lips part. I am one of these and had to improvise my own mouth flap, which attaches to the sides of the chin strap.

Sometimes simply making sure that you sleep with your head aligned with your body can help with this. If you want to elevate your head in bed you should do that with a wedge pillow or with bricks under the headboard. If you sleep with several pillows it may cause your head to tilt forward and block your airway.