From:
Sarah Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sarah Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 08:23:36 -0700

Here's the summary.  Varied, to say the least.

Also, I downloaded the restaurant cards from one of
the sites, showed it to a Brazilian friend, who told
me that lots of the restaurant workers would be
illiterate or close to it, so she made a simpler
version for me. It basically says "this is a
restricted health diet. I can eat food and ingredients
that are gluten free." It lists all the no-nos, then
asks, "Are you sure that the meal and ingredients
don't contain those ingredients--yes/no?"  My friend
suggested giving this to the server to take back to
the kitchen.

DIETA RESTRITA

CASO DE SAUDE-- Se comer comida contendo os
ingredients abaizo "ficarei doente".

Nao posso comer comida que tenha FARINHA OU GRAOS DE
TRIGO, CENTEIO, CEVADA, FARINHA DE PAO, E AVEIA.

Tem certeza absoluta que esta cominda NAO contem, ou
foi conzinhada com FARINHA OU GRAOS DE TRIGO, CENTEIO,
CEVADA, FARINHA DE PAO, E AVEIA?

(    ) SIM       (    ) NAO

I have a co-worker from Brazil and she gave me this
link:

http://www.acelbra.org.br/english/index.php

to the Brazil Celiac site. It looks like it has a lot
of info on it.

She also said that Patanal is in the Mato Grosso
region. So you can look in that area to hopefully help
you find foods. She did say that Patanal is in the
middle of the Jungle and you may have challenges
there.

Hi, I go to sao Paulo often as my wife is from sao
Paulo. There are GF
stores there and even
A dedicated GF bakery
It hasn't been a problem eating out as most  brazilian
food is easy to
 eat
as they use a lot of manioca flour which is tapioca.
Fish is quite
 common
and good there. They do serve a lot of meat
though.there isn't much
 English
spoken there though. We are leaving for SP june 19.
however I can get
 my
wife to answer you better. You can email her at
  direct
with questions.

I would suggest taking snack foods with you to have
when you really
have hunger pangs while touring and possibly can't
find something
that you are secure with eating.  Zone bars  or Laura
Bars are good
to carry in your purse (check their web sites as not
all flavors are
gluten free).  A couple bags of rice cakes and a jar
of peanut butter
is always a good filler.  Lunch size bags of dried
fruits or snacks
are good for your purse.  The small poptop cans of
tuna are easy to
carry.  Take a package of GF crackers.   Have a great
trip - sounds
so fun!!!!!

tough there..hard to communicate & even NICE
restaurants have filthy kitchens.
I would pack some food. Also..be very careful in the
areas you mention......
Lots of crime..purse runners....con artists.

My mother-in-law lives in Brazil and we recently
diagnosed with Celiac.  The labeling there on
packaging is better than here and has been for many
years.

If you go into a grocery store - you should be able to
find many foods that you can eat.

Also - a popular food in Brazil is - Pao de Quijo
(means bread of cheese).  They are excellent!!!
Usually this is made with Tapioca Flour only (the
Brazilians call it Manioc (pronounced Man-yoch) Flour)
-  but you should check to ensure about contamination,
that no flour is used and to ensure the pans are not
floured with wheat flour, etc...  Sometimes - if you
get them in the mall - they have fillings in them -
you will need to check the fillings.

I would bet you can get other rolls made from Manioc
Flour as well - They use Manioc alot.  If you have the
opportunity to try Manioc French Fries - try them -
they are delicious.

I was last year in Brazil, naturally they don't grow
and use much
 wheat, if
at all. Most food items in restaurants are therefore
gf. The people are
 very
friendly and accomodating, it will not be a problem to
ask for a
 substitute
if you are not sure of an item. I never got sick in 2
weeks.

good Luck and Happy travels