Date:
Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:28:41 -0500

Total Number of Responses - 10.
No one provided any scientific evidence of it being harmful for celiacs.

Summary of responses:

Didn't really answer my questions (3)
------------------------------------
"ask your question at the Delphi CD Forum"

"My Tufts University Nutrition Letter reports that controlled studies show
no benefit from echinacea use."

"I hope you will summarize your responses for the list"

Against Using It(4)
------------------
"we have an OVERACTIVE immune system.  Therefore, DO NOT use echinacea!!!!"

"I think the stuff is bad news for everyone.......I have also heard you can
drop dead from a reaction - at any time - even if you have used it for awhile."

"I cannot tolerate echinacea a
t all.....I have asthma attacks and
anaphylactic reactions when I take it.  I believe others here take it
without incident tho"

"Yes, you should not use anything that enhances the immune system. The
reason is that celiac is an overstimulated immune system, and you do not
want to stimulate it even further-dangerous."

Use It with no Problem (3)
--------------------------
"we have used echinacia, including my son with celiac, for years.
His pedi was not against it and it has greatly helped us stay well."

"I, 38 year old mom of 5 son's, personally would not worry about your
consumption of Echinacea.... I take it about 1 week when feeling poorly or
others are sick around me. It helps me not become as sick or even sick when
others in my family are going under. "

"Well, since it is supposed to enhance the immune system and since our
immune systems may be too active in certain ways C theoretically this could
be a problem. But I can't say I've heard many people say this. I too find it
effective - I just don't use it all the time."

Thanks,
Celia NYC