Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:27:55 EST

I was diagnosed 7 years ago following the sudden onset of  diarrhea that
lasted for one month before being diagnosed.

Prior to that, I really had no symptoms except anemia and low  thyroid, but
with a very high Synthroid dose.

Around 2002 or 2003, I had a Dexa scan which showed  osteomalacia.    This is
caused by prolonged and severe Vitamin D  deficiency.   Guess I was
malabsorbing for years without knowing  it.  That is probably why I had such a high
Synthroid dosage at 2.75  mg.

My endocrinologist told me to take 600 milligrams of calcium  three times a
day, and to also take Slo-Mag (magnesium) twice a day as this  helps the
calcium to absorb.

Two years later in 2005, another Dexa scan showed improvement  and now the
diagnosis was osteopenia, which is a milder form of  osteoporosis.

Last week was my third Dexa scan.   I no longer have  osteopenia, and my
bones look good.  In fact, I now have the bones of a 30  year old.   (Wish I had
the body of one, tho, as I am  62).

So it does take years to reverse the problem, but it can work.  Also added
into this mix was exercise.  You must do weight bearing type  exercises.  Lift
those weights, no matter how light they are to start  with.   And do cardio
like walking.   I chose bicycling  outside in the nice weather, plus I do go to
the gym 3 times a week and lift  weights.

So don't let the diagnosis of osteoporosis or osteopenia get  you down.  You
can do things to reverse it, no matter how old you  are.   With years of
malabsorption, it will take time.   In  case you ask, I use Citracal, one in the
morning, one mid-day, and one at  night.  Never use when about to take milk as
you can only absorb about 500  mg. at a time.  Take more than that, and you are
wasting your  money.   I take one Slo-Mag in the morning, and one in the
evening.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bev
Mansfield, OH