From:
Merrie Stith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:15:26 EDT

---Let me know what you think, and if I need no include any more
information.  I really think that the only way to get such a large (and
irresponsible company) to change is to force the issue.  If the media
picks up on this issue, P&G will have to change----

Dateline,

I have recently been informed of a very disturbing policy enacted by
Proctor and Gamble, potentially affecting thousands of Americans, and
many others world wide.

I have a condition called Celiac Disease.  Celiac Disease and it's
cousin Dermatitis Herpeteformis require that the patient completely
eliminates gluten in their diets as well as any product that can
potentially be absorbed through the skin.  Gluten is found in Wheat Oats
Rye and Barley.  The difficulty for a Celiac patient is that gluten or
gluten containing ingredients may not be mentioned on an ingredient
label.  For example:  maltodextrin, caramel coloring, and vinegar may
all be made from many different grain sources, one of which is wheat.
Also, vitamin E and other non food ingredients may be made from wheat or
other gluten containing grains.  Another factor that makes living with
Celiac Disease difficult are the current FDA regulations that enable
manufacturers of foods to leave ingredients off of the list if they
comprise less tha 2% of the product.  Even at less than 2%, many celiacs
can become quite ill from ingesting the product.

Celiacs depend on the ability to contact manufacturers to find out if
there is gluten in a product that might not be mentioned on the label.
Many manufacturers are very helpful, while others are less than
accomodating.  Proctor and Gamble has recently implemented a policy that
I personally feel (as well as thousands of others in the celiac
community) is dangerous.  Prior to a few weeks ago, if a customer called
the Proctor and Gamble asking about the gluten-free status of a product,
the representative would be quite helpful in accomodating the request.
Unfortunately, that has changed. Now a customer that for health reasons
wants information about a particular products ingredients must get a
doctors letter in order for Proctor and Gamble to answer their question.
That places an unnecessary burden on the patient, not to mention the
doctors who now must take time to write letters for their celiac
patients.  We could just avoid all P&G products, but with their large
product lin! e, it is virtually impossible to do so.  This is a blatant
attempt on the part of Proctor and Gamble to decrease the amount of
information requests, because they know not all of us will be able to
get a doctors letter.  The company does not care about the potential
impact on thousands of patients and their families.  Proctor and Gamble
knows that many people will take the risk of becoming ill because the
product is readily available and they don't have time to go to the
doctor, not to mention the money to pay for an office visit just to find
out about one questionable ingredient.  I am also concerned about the
impact on individuals with other food sensitivities such as egg, corn,
or peanuts - these are potentially deadly allergies.  If Proctor and
Gamble has the policy strictly for requests about gluten content, I
would consider it a dangerous form of discrimination against Celiacs.
On the other hand if this new policy has been implemented for a host of
potential allergans I ! would find this a horrendously dangerous policy
based on laziness on the part of Proctor and Gamble.

Consumers have the right to know what is in the products they use,
whether or not it is specifically listed on the label.  Companies have
the responsibility to answer reasonable customer questions about their
product.  Proctor and Gamble has broken faith with thousands of Celiac
customers and their families, and put us all at a tremendous risk.  I
sincerely hope that Dateline will look further into this policy, and let
the American public know that one of the largest companies in America
apparently doesn't care about the health and safety of their customers.

If you need any more background information about Celiac Disease or
anything else that I mentioned in this note, I would be happy to oblige.

Sincerely,
Merrie Stith