From:
Claudie Cameron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 14:55:38 -0700

Date:4-11-98     Time:2:25

Hello Everyone,
I am interested in finding out other's reactions to different foods nt just
gluten but any foods that you have specifically isolated as a reactive food
so please list the food and reaction symptom(s) and reaction time(s).  I
realize that there has been alot of dialogue about "the other grains" and
distilled vinegar, I'm interested in what you have found for yourself .  I
have a question about oat straw,"avena sativa",  I have been told that the
problem with oats is not oats themselvesbut the cross contamination from
other grains either in processing or in the field.  Is this so? Is oat
straw the same as "oats" and should one treat oat straw,"avena sativa", the
way we treat the dreaded wheat, rye, barley, "oats", and whatever other
grains bother us?  I also spoke with Marty at Pacific Foods of Oregon,
503-692-9666, I had a reaction to some almond milk(depression), I misread
the ingredients and it has malt in it (BIG OOPS).  My housemate and I both
had a reaction to their vegetable broth.  I had extreme body odor, I
consumed maybe 1/2 cup in 2 days and my friend had a much larger ingestion
and she had cramping and diarrhea within 2 hours and for about 24 hrs.  She
is not CD, Marty took code off the box and is looking into it.  She assured
me that their equipment is sterilized after each batch of product, a 3 hr.
process, longer than it takes to process the foods and that the aseptic
packaging after filling is again heated to 300 degrees f..  I realize that
some of you feel we shouldn't use anything processed, and maybe I will
ultimately wind up there but, it's difficult enough to consume enough
calories without these foods and for now am willing to "risk" until I can
figure this out more completely.  It's your dime to speak with Pacific
Foods but I found Marty to be informed, very cooperative, and concerned
regarding any possible contamination or reaction.  Just realized that maybe
they prepare all the products in the same room and there may be
contamination from flour from other gluten containing products.  A question
I will research.  I know this is long, thank-you for listening.  I will
summarize when I get some answers.
Health and Hope
Thia