From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:50:05 EST

                         Tips for Celiacs<2>
                         -------------------
                            by Ann Whelan

This is a report on a presentation by Ann Whelan, Editor of
Gluten-Free Living, at the Feb.  20th, 1999 meeting of the Houston
Support Group.

Background:  Ann has officially been a celiac for eight years, but
probably had it much longer.  Before starting Gluten-Free Living (now
nearly 4 years old) she was managing editor of Baby Talk Magazine.
Now she also teaches writing and grammar at a local college.  Ann
developed Glufen-Free Living because she felt there wasn't reliable,
clearly understandable information about Celiac Disease (CD) and
wanted to use her publishing skills, a profession she loves, to
benefit the celiac population.

Ann gave us TIPS:  Five food tips, five health tips, five quickie
tips, and five things to look forward to, always in a "Let's Be
Positive" mode.

Food Tips:

1. Concentrate on what you CAN eat, not what you can't.  Try not to
   blow the gluten-free (GF) diet out of proportion.  If you take
   processed foods out of the equation, you can eat almost anything:
   fruits, vegetables, beans, meat, fish, rice, corn, etc.  When you
   eat plain food, you start to really taste food the way you never
   tasted before.  What we can eat is good for us.

2. Get used to the fact that you have to do more cooking and baking
   Turn this factor into an asset and become a good GF cook.  Eat
   simply.  For breakfast Ann eats eggs, yogurt, fruit, Jowar
   (sorghum) Jo Crisps Cereal, or even vegetables.

   For lunch you can eat leftovers.  Leftover rice mixed with a
   vegetable is always a good idea; you can keep bags of frozen peas,
   corn, or broccoli in the freezer.  One of Ann's favorite lunches is
   to put plain peanut butter on a rice cake and slice apples on top.
   For snacks try fruit, Jell-O, or home-popped popcorn, all of which
   can be quickly prepared.

   In a restaurant, first check the menu to see what you can eat
   without question, what you might be able to eat if you ask
   questions, what you'd better stay away from, and what you might
   want to look into a little bit.  Try not to make an issue of it and
   don't be embarrassed or afraid to ask questions.  Ann says she
   figures whatever the gathering is for, it's not to discuss her
   diet.

3. Forget about getting dietary advice from your doctor.  A
   gastroenterologist's primary job is to diagnose your illness and
   then send you on to a dietitian and a support group.  Please don't
   get mad at doctors for not knowing all the details of the GF diet.
   Dietitians, too, may not know a lot about the GF diet.  We celiacs
   need to partner with dietitians to get them up to speed and help
   those we educate teach other dietitians.  There are many pieces of
   the celiac pie that need to be improved, and adopting and educating
   dietitians is an important step toward getting more reliable
   information to more people.

4. Join a support group.  The best place to get information about the
   disease and the GF diet is from a support group because the leaders
   and members deal with diet issues every day.  Celiacs need to
   support their group leaders and volunteer assistance.  Ann says she
   feels strongly about all of us giving something back to society for
   the richness that we have managed in our own personal lives.  So if
   you are really interested in making celiac disease your "thing",
   you can volunteer to work with a support group

5. Accept that there are very few absolutes and very many points of
   disagreement about what is and is not GF or what is and is not
   appropriate for celiacs.  We know with certainty that the things we
   should not eat are wheat, barley, rye, oats, spelt, triticale and
   kamut.  The next thing we need to find out is where those grains
   actually are, not necessarily where they might be.  We should have
   a basic diet we can rely on before we waste valuable time and
   effort looking for needles in haystacks.  In her research Ann has
   discovered that a lot of the things we celiacs believe but have
   never checked out are not necessarily true in the real world.
   Misinformation takes hold in the celiac community and then we are
   left trying to disprove something that should never have been
   proposed in the first place.  In other words, we are left trying to
   prove a negative.

   For example, research shows that canola oil is GF, so it should be
   appropriate for any celiac except those with a special sensitivity
   to it.  Since it is GF, any sensitivities to canola oil can't be
   gluten problems.  But it's been publicized that canola oil is not
   appropriate for any celiac, so everyone (especially food vendors)
   has been forced to decide what to do about this product, which
   actually happens to be a "healthy" oil.  Canola oil did not belong
   on any list of products that all celiacs should avoid in the first
   place.  Celiacs need to make their own judgements and realize that
   no one can tell them what they cannot eat without explaining and/or
   proving that it is dangerous.  You have to do the best you can with
   tlie diet, but try to stay away from any gluten-fearing paranoia
   that exists.  Try to know your sources and the reasons why you
   should be avoiding something.

Health Tips:

1. Eat a varied diet, which will provide a wider variety of vitamins
   and minerals for better nutrition.  Iron, calcium and folic acid
   are the three nutrients most frequently malabsorbed by celiacs, so
   be sure you eat the foods that contain them.

2. Whatever your age and whatever your sex, do get a bone density
   test.  Many celiac experts say that most celiac patients have some
   degree of abnormal bone loss, often serious, at diagnosis.  If your
   doctor is not up to speed on CD, you may have to firmly request the
   simple, noninvasive bone density test.  The treatments for
   osteoporosis include hormone therapy and some new drugs, primarily
   Fosamax.

   There are 10 million Americans today who have osteoporosis, and
   18.5 million more who have some early signs of osteoporosis.  The
   cost of treating these problems is enormous.  Yet if a person has
   osteoporosis and also has hidden CD, and is taking osteoporosis
   medications and eating calcium-rich foods, the treatment will
   probably not be optimum if the patient is malabsorbing the calcium
   she is eating and perhaps even the medications.  Since the celiac
   connection to osteoporosis is the malabsorption of calcium,
   treating the cause of the malabsorption--the GF diet --needs to
   come before consideration of Fosamax or other drugs.

   Celiacs need to eat dairy products because they are a prime source
   of calcium.  Calcium, which has such a strong connection with
   osteoporosis, is one of the most malabsorbed nutrients in CD.  Some
   celiacs have difficulty eating dairy products because of associated
   lactose intolerance, but it is extremely important to get dairy
   products into your body in whatever way works.  Of all the dairy
   products available, one of the best is yogurt; it's low fat, easily
   digested (even for some who are lactose intolerant), and readily
   available.

3. Have an annual physical exam that includes a complete blood count
   (CBC) and stool testing, according to Dr. Joseph Murray of the
   Mayo Clinic.  He thinks you should have thyroid testing every other
   year, but if you already have thyroid disease, more frequent
   testing might be advantageous.  The experts also say you should
   have serology antibody testing once a year to test for compliance
   with the GF diet.  A positive result almost always means some
   gluten has been inadvertently ingested.  Dr. Murray says you then
   have to:  Check your diet, check your diet again, and check your
   diet a third time.  He also recommends taking one good
   multi-vitamin a day that includes 100 percent of the recommended
   daily amount of B-complex vitamins, iron, folate and other vitamins
   and minerals.

   Whatever other supplements you take will depend on your own
   personal needs.  You will need to investigate the possible gluten
   content in everything you ingest, including (and especially!)
   vitamins and medications.  We have to be careful of everything that
   goes into our mouths, but especially of anything we take every day.

4. Encourage your first-degree relatives to get screened for CD.
   Usually these relatives are not comfortable with your request
   because they don't want to follow your diet, but 10% of them will
   probably have CD, and of the 10% who have it, 50% will have no
   symptoms but will have flat intestinal villi.

   How can we get our relatives tested?  First of all, don't make an
   issue of your diet around them.  Make them drool over the delicious
   GF dishes you are eating.  Keep the current complexities about the
   diet to yourself.  And don't nag!

   If you can, send donations to the University of Maryland Prevalence
   Study, which is testing first-degree relatives (and others) to try
   to find out what the true prevalence of CD is in the United States.
   If it turns out that celiac disease is not rare, then the FDA and
   food manufacturers will have to pay more attention to our problems.
   Please make checks payable to the UM Foundation, Inc.  Center for
   Celiac Research, Attn:  Pam King, 700 W.  Lombard St., Room 206,
   Baltimore, MD 21201.  These funds are administered by the
   University of Maryland Foundation, Inc.

5. The very best thing you can do for yourself is to have a life
   beyond CD.  Don't let having this disorder stop you from doing
   anything!  Make sure you have other interests.  Make sure you
   exercise.  Make sure you get out and eat with gluten-eating people.
   Make sure you travel.  Make sure you stay all-around healthy.

Five Quick Tips:

1. Buy your own toaster or toaster oven.  This is an easy way to avoid
   cross contamination.

2. Try not to complain about the cost of GF products.  They are
   expensive for a reason.  The manufacturers have to pay more to get
   supplies, pay more to process the food, and they have to pay more
   to market it because they don't have normal marketing avenues.  We
   have to pay more because we have to order a lot by mail.

   It helps to remember that we usually don't have to take expensive
   medications as treatment for gluten sensitivity and, unlike
   medications, the foods we eat have no side effects.

3. Buy a bread machine.  When you bake your own bread, it is
   ultimately cheaper than any ready-made bread.  Plus it usually
   tastes better.

4. Not everyone can do this, but it helps to avoid processed food.
   Even when you investigate products over the phone or get a letter
   from the manufacturers or consult some of the commercial product
   listings that are available, you are still not totally sure the
   product is safe.  Life is simpler and safer when you avoid
   processed foods--or eat them as infrequently as possible.

5. Remember that Europe is well ahead of the U.S.  in dealing with CD.
   We know physicians there have been diagnosing CD for a longer time
   and celiacs have been on a GF diet longer in Europe than here.
   Yes, several European countries do allow a small amount of wheat
   starch in international products, but their research has not shown
   an increased morbidity or mortality rate in their celiac
   population.  Ann says she tends to think of this when she hears
   Americans going nuts about potential (versus actual) trace amounts
   of scientifically unmeasurable gluten in certain ingredients.

   Unfortunately, we don't have our act together in the U.S.  when it
   comes to CD and the GF diet.  All U.S.  celiacs have a lot in
   common and we all need to pull together, not apart, for our common
   good.

Five Things to Look Forward To:

1. A good possibility that doctors will be able to diagnose CD without
   the biopsy in the years to come.

2. The Celiac International Conference in August 2000 in Baltimore.
   Those who attend can plan a nice east coast vacation around the
   dates (August 10-13) if they'd like.

3. GF food that gets better and more varied as the number of vendors
   grows.  Hopefully our specialty foods will be more easily available
   locally.  In the meantime, ask your supermarket managers to stock
   specific products in their stores.  You might be surprised at how
   quickly they agree to do so.

4. More awareness of CD, especially in terms of research, doctors'
   understanding, availability of GF food, and interest from the
   federal government and FDA.  We need to make CD a household word
   because it impacts so many peoples' lives.

5. A united U.S. effort to support celiacs!!

Highlights of Gluten-Free Living:  Previous issues from this year have
included articles on CD and diabetes, canola oil, GF travel, a report
on the Canadian Celiac Association's annual convention, and answers
from medical experts to questions from celiacs across the country.
The most recent issue includes articles on quinoa, maintaining a
positive attitude, and several recipes, among other topics.

Subscribe to Gluten-Free Living (6 issues for $29;12 issues for $49),
PO Box 105, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706.