Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 2009 15:47:46 -0400

Hi -

I was dxd with CD 3 years ago.  I adhere to a strict GF diet, and all my
symptoms are gone.  I've had another auto-immune issue (eosinophilic
gastroenteritis) crop up since going GF, tho, which appears to also be food
related.  I've been doing a strict elimination diet now for 3.5 months.
Once my dr and I saw improvements in my eosinophils and protein absorption,
I've been adding foods back in.  I'm now up to eating most fruits and
veggies again, and corn products.  I'm still avoiding dairy, eggs, soy, and
all meats, altho I've been trialing lentils and beans now for protein.  I
had my vitamins/mineral levels tested ~ 6 months ago and was normal for all
(especially folate, but I eat salad every day and broccoli several times a
week).

So here's my question.  I'm 7 weeks pregnant with my 1st child.  I'm very
concerned about getting the proper nutrition for the baby, given my
extremely restricted diet.  When I asked dr's about this before getting
pregnant, they weren't all that helpful and don't seem to be very concerned
about it.  I haven't met with the GI since learning I'm pregnant, nor the
actual obgyn - just the nurse and she was clueless.

Recently I've been really wanting to eat dairy products and items with
gluten - like real bread for instance.  I don't know if this is hormones
talking, some sort of psychological effect of being on such a restricted
diet, or my body telling me it's missing some sort of nutrient.  (I really
don't miss non-GF foods anymore, tho, so it's kinda odd for me to have such
strong desires for non-GF food.)

Since I know a lot of auto-immune issues disappear in pregnancy, can I
chance eating these things in order to get better nutrition from food during
my pregnancy?  Has anyone ever had celiac disappear during pregnancy, or
know of research to indicate this occurring?  Should I abandon my
elimination diet for now?  I am taking vitamins and also calcium, altho
right now I'm only doing 600 mg of the calcium (more seemed to cause me to
get bladder infections which I don't want to occur during pregnancy).

Sorry for the long intro - I did search the archives and didn't see anything
regarding this specific question about pregnancy.

*******
*******